• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice re litter tray please?

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks!

Lola and Lucy have a corner litter tray (they both use the same one).

They have stopped using the litter tray:( They prefer to sit in their hay tray and do their business in there, so the litter tray is not being used and taking up a fair bit of room.

I change the hay twice daily so there is no way the buns are eating nasty hay and they have a hay ball that I put the hay in.

Should I take the hay tray out and leave them with the hay ball (you cant fit much in there).

Should I take the litter tray out and let them do it in their hay and carry on changing it twice daily (I dont mind doing this)

Or should I leave the litter tray in and the hay tray?

I have used a hay manger - but buns are in a dog crate and the hay just falls out of the side through the bars and i am trying to encourage them to eat as much hay as possible.

Thank you for your help!

Andrea x x

how about putting some hay in the litter tray? :)
Thats what i am doing to get mine to use the litter trays in the hutch :roll:

I asked a similar question recently and came to the conclusion that buns like to eat and go to the toilet at the same time so I've started lining their hay box with newspaper then put hay on top.

I asked a similar question recently and came to the conclusion that buns like to eat and go to the toilet at the same time so I've started lining their hay box with newspaper then put hay on top.

Thats what I am doing Rachie, just hope its OK. :D

If they'd rather pee in the hay tray then I would let them and take out the litter tray to free up space. Just keep changing it as you have been, or what I do is just add some fresh hay to the top every 3 hrs or so - the litter tray ends up looking like a hay mountain by the end of the day though. :lol:

Alfie and Bubbles have two trays upstairs in the hutch part, both of which they eat out of and pee in. And a hay manger they don't touch lol. :roll::lol: They also have a box of hay downstairs but that's just for eating and sleeping in, no pee or poo.

Thats what I am doing Rachie, just hope its OK. :D

Oops, sorry I didn't realise. Someone on here recommended it for me to do so I'm also hoping its OK. I know its silly but I feel really bad that they have their toilet and food area together :oops:

I have litter trays too with wood litter in them (not sure how long I'll be keeping them for, I've just got Oliver a wifeybun and its a case of trial and error for me at the moment to see what works with the pair of them) but I find the newspaper to be SO much easier, just roll it up with any hay left over, bin it and replace :D

I started doing this when i couldnt get any megazorb! :D

Mine have litter trays lined with newspaper and hay as well. I sort of heap the hay up in one corner so that they can eat this and it remains clean. They have hay in lots of other places too so it's their choice.

Mine are the same they rarely use the corner tray but they have a plastic dog basket I put a layer of megazorb in then fill it with hay I pile more in one end and they tend to eat that while pooping and weeing in the other end!

Not sure if this will help but I had the same problem so swapped the positions of the hay tray and litter tray. They went back to the same spot to pee each time but this time the pee ended up in the right container! :roll:

give them the hay ball & hay in their hay tray...that way they can choose between clean and er.......pre used :lol: just make sure you clean out the soiled hay every day so you can ensure they are getting enough clean stuff.......I use a hanging basket if that is any use at all.....perhaps you could suspend something like that fromt the ceiling of the crate.

give them the hay ball & hay in their hay tray...that way they can choose between clean and er.......pre used :lol: just make sure you clean out the soiled hay every day so you can ensure they are getting enough clean stuff.......I use a hanging basket if that is any use at all.....perhaps you could suspend something like that fromt the ceiling of the crate.

They have one of them "veggie tangle twisters" that hang from the ceiling? I am thinking of removing the bell off it though:lol::lol:

Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer :D:D

Mine have hay in there litter trays so pee and poo on it but i just top up throughout the day and clean out every morning,You do tend to waste a bit doing it that way,but ive always done it that way

Back