• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should I mention this or not?

happypreso

Alpha Buck
I have been away for the weekend and got a neighbour to look after the rabbits for me. My current set up is one male in one hutch/run, one female in another hutch/run and two rabbits (male & female) living in a hutch but have the run of the garden. The neighbour asked about letting them out and I said she didn't have to but if she wanted to let the two big ones out then she could.

Anyway, I have found out that the two big rabbits were put in the run with the 'single' male rabbit. They were together all day. All 3 rabbits are okay, there is some fur in the run but no visable cuts etc. The 'single' male is currently not neutered and is about 20 wks old. Star the female 'big' rabbit has not been sprayed yet - she is booked in for tomorrow. Is there any chance she could be pregnant? (she has already had two litters if that makes any difference?)

When I take Star to the vets tomorrow, should I mention she was with an un-neutered male yesterday? I am assuming that if she is pregnant the operation could still go ahead as it has only been days?

On the plus side, am I right in thinking that no cuts is a good sign as the long term aim is to bond all four rabbits together.

She is most likely pregnant, but if it's only been a few days ago, then spaying her should be too bad, and it'll abort them.

The spay should still be able to go ahead as planned but I would mention the recent events to your Vet. It is very possible that the entire Buck mated her. At 20 weeks he may well be fertile.

As for future bondings, who knows !! I cetrainly would not attempt it til all Buns are neutered and have fully recovered from their ops :)

She is most likely pregnant, but if it's only been a few days ago, then spaying her should be too bad, and it'll abort them.

It was yesterday (sat) they were together and she is already booked in to be sprayed tomorrow (mon). The un-netured male she was with, was her son so it would be best all round that if she was pregnant (and we are only talking days) that the babies were aborted whilst doing the operation .. so I am assuming I should mention it to the vet then?

Yes, highly likely i'm afraid. You're lucky it didn't end in bloodshed as well.
It would be worth booking her in for spaying asap if you don't want little ones.

The spay should still be able to go ahead as planned but I would mention the recent events to your Vet. It is very possible that the entire Buck mated her. At 20 weeks he may well be fertile.

As for future bondings, who knows !! I cetrainly would not attempt it til all Buns are neutered and have fully recovered from their ops :)

Thank you, I will mention it to the vet tomorrow when I go. Like I say, I didn't plan for them to go together yesterday, it was a mix up with my neighbour. My long term plan has always been get all 4 'sorted out' and then bond them and let them live in the shed/run and free range of the garden during the day.

Yes, highly likely i'm afraid. You're lucky it didn't end in bloodshed as well.
It would be worth booking her in for spaying asap if you don't want little ones.

Thanks, I know I was panicing big time yesterday evening when we were texting backwards and forwards! The female that was in with the two males (her partner has already been neutered) is already booked in for her spray tomorrow, I just didn't know what the chances of her actually being pregnant was (by the un-netured male who is her son) and also if I should mention it to the vet. It seems the answer is yes on both accounts!

Back