• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A bit worried about Sora - U/D Huge Improvement!! :)

tigerangel

Warren Veteran
She was fine when I fed her this morning at 9.30am (an hour later than usual :oops: ) she fought me for her pellets and I left her and Smudge scoffing the lot. I got my own breakfast and came back out at 10.30 to let them out and she hasn't really shown any interest in it. She's been sat on top of the hutch looking a bit lazy but she is at least hopping from one side to the other every so often so there is at least a little bit of movement going on. She does not quite trust me yet so chasing her around will only stress her out and make things worse. We can't pick her up from the top of the hutch either since it's her territory and she will stress out and bite anyone who tries. She is lying down slightly more than usual, but I haven't seen her pressing the belly to the floor yet...

I'm trying to keep a close eye on her but she seems to be getting more and more disgruntled the longer I'm within 1 meter of her so I'm watching from a little distance for now. She isn't grinding her teeth nor can I hear any gassy sounds like I could with Luna but she is just generally acting a little quieter than I would expect. Yesterday she stole a couple of dried pineapple/papaya chunks off me but is ignoring them today.

She hasn't eaten anything bad since this morning as she hasn't been out so I'm pretty sure that I can rule out her having eaten anything but hay, pellets and grass, but I wonder if maybe she scoffed down her pellets a bit too quickly this morning and it's resulted in a tummy ache or swallowing a bit of air with the food that's maybe slowing her system down a little.

I'll be keeping an eye on her behavour but I'm really hoping this isn't the start of stasis :? I'm off to go clean their litterboxes out earlier than usual so I can keep a good count of how many poops are appearing...the ones in there are the moment are very normal, not small, so I'm hoping she's just deciding to have a quiet day of relaxation rather than anything worrying.

Last edited:
Have you tried hand picking some grass (or carrot tops) and offering it? If, she won't take any of her favourite foods and you haven't seen her eat anything in the next hour, I would perhaps try some Infacol or take her to the vets. I tend to think it is better safe than sorry.

I would do the dandelion test (or apple or whatever her favourite is). If she's not interested you'd better take her to the vet.

Have you tried hand picking some grass (or carrot tops) and offering it? If, she won't take any of her favourite foods and you haven't seen her eat anything in the next hour, I would perhaps try some Infacol or take her to the vets. I tend to think it is better safe than sorry.

No I definitly agree with you - she is going straight there if she doesn't perk up very soon :?

I've left her with totally clean litter trays, a portion of carrot greens and the top part of the carrot, a pineapple chunk and a small pile of freshly picked grass and a small piece of apple. Smudge is out in the garden enjoying himself so I know if anything has been chewed it will be by her.

I've left her alone now in case my presence is making it worse and stressing her out, but I'll be back to inspect in 20 minutes and if none of them have been touched and if she hasn't really moved very much then I'm going to call the vets. I do feel slightly more optimistic about the fact that I saw her eating enthusiastically 3 hours ago but I would rather be safe and have a £50 vet bill for nothing rather than leave her to get worse.

Well I've just got back from the emergency vets :( She does have stasis, and though the vet can't feel any blockage she can feel a soft impaction(?) which she said would hopefully not be too great an issue as she can feel poos all the way through the digestive bits waiting to come out.

Her teeth have small spurs on, but they are not big enough to cause a problem and not something to worry about nor causing any ulcers etc so they have been ruled out for seperate treatment another day.

She's had injections of Metacam and Metoclopramide, and we've been prescribed zantac and bio-lapis (the bio-lapis is in place of Fibreplex, as they've seen quite a few bunnies this weekend and have one in hospitalisation and they're out of fibreplex). If she hasn't eaten 6 hours from now then she gave us some critical care to try and gently syringe feed her with it. She advised us to take her home, as it's still in the very early stages not to need hospitalisation and it will be a less stressful environment for her.

She has perked up a little since we got her home and she's hooped (quite gently) around the garden so I'm happy that her gut can get a bit of movement to it.

If she gets worse or is no better by tomorrow morning then we are to take her back and they will admit her and do an xray to see if they can find any other reason for it that they can treat.

I'm so worried about her all the same :cry: I can't loose another one to this within 2 months of Luna, if anyone has any spare vibes I am sure she would greatly appreciate them.

Aww poor you and Sora. At least you know what you're dealing with and it sounds fairly hopeful that you have caught it early.

Lots of vibes for a speedy recovery.

FC x

Thank you everyone :cry: she felt a bit cold so I've moved her to the indoor cage in the living room and put the heating on and tucked the snugglesafe underneath her. She keeps flopping down onto it which I hope will keep her temperature up.

We managed to get about 5-7 mils of liquid containing bio-lapis into her via syringe until she'd had enough, but she's willingly drunk from the regular water bowl a couple of times since then so at least I know she is not going to get dehydrated. Since then though I've heard a couple of light tummy gurgles, these aren't anywhere near as loud as Luna's were so I hope they are just regular gut movement sounds from the water she's taken in :?

I just wish we could get her to eat, I don't want to have to force feed her. I've seen a teeny tiny poo amongst the normal poos in the indoor cage already, I hope it's hers...

Update:-

Still not eating, still no poos :cry: I got a couple of mils of critical care into her - I don't want to feed her too much because I know she has stuff in there that she can't get out, and I don't want to make her feel even more constipated :oops: She's had some zantac too, next dose of that is at 3.30am.

She's taking everything that comes in a syringe very well and she is willingly drinking enough on her own, it's just food thats the problem. She sniffs at it and LOOKS interested but then just looks away :cry:

She has hopped once around the living room, and decided to suddenly get up and dig away a layer of towel to be closer to the snugglesafe's heat. She feels slightly warmer to the touch than earlier. I think in a little while I am going to try giver her some more bio-lapis and then sit with her on the waterbed for a while (it's always heated so should be quite nice for her) and see if it helps.

Stupidly I can't find my bunny book (of all the times!) so I've no idea how to attempt a massage to try help her :(

sora1.jpg

sora2.jpg

I hope she doesn't look too uncomfy :?

Last edited:
Gave her a bit of a DIY massage attempt (never done it before so don't really know what i'm doing) and half-chased her around the living room for 5 mins and she went back to her toilet ... and ... WE HAVE SOME POOS!! :shock:

Only 5 - One was mis-shaped, the other 4 were strung together quite thickly and one of them was more baked-bean shaped than circular. I know we are far from out of the woods but that, along with willingness to drink unaided, is a good indication of SOME movement right?

Now if only she can feel well enough to eat unaided!

EDIT:- 00:55am - SHE'S EATING! :love::love::love:

Still getting her medicine at 3am tho - need to get the rest of those poos out! :no:

Last edited:
Sora is now back to normal and sunbathing by the window :love::love::love: She's eating hay and pellets and at 6am this morning she left a giant pile of normal looking poos in the liltter box :love: I'm keeping her in the house again tonight just to be triply sure it's all over with, and to make sure the poos from what she's eating today come out normal, and putting them back outside before heading out to work tomorrow (weather forcasted to be rainy but not too cold thankfully!)

This is the first time I've had to deal with GI stasis :oops: thank you everyone for the support and vibes, I don't think I could have done it without reading everyone else's experience and recommendations on here :)

...And now I think I'll get some food and try sleep :lol:

Back