• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Zantac syrup ????????

mich8

Alpha Buck
I have just got back from the emergency vet with my rabbit.
Max is a Flemish Giant who has been quite a sickly rabbit ever since we took him on.
Today he stopped eating. Took him to vet. She thouroughly examined him and could find no reason for him not to be eating.
He was given Metoclopramide, Pain relief and Zantac.
Could someone please tell me what the Zantac is used for ???????
Max has also lost a bit of weight... He was 6.14kg on the 9th March and he was 5.8 kg tonight.

Zantac (Ranitidine HCl), reduces the production of stomach acid by inhibiting histamine.Has your vet taken bloods?

Zantac also increases the rate of gastric emptying and is therefore very useful as part of the treatment for GI stasis.

I hope Max feels better soon :)

Thank you for your replies.
The vet did not take bloods, but said if there was no improvement tomorrow then to take him back.
Will make an app with my own vet whatever on Monday as they are very good with the rabbits.

I have a bunny on Zantac at present and it's being used for gut motility/gastric emptying as Jane has mentioned. This little bunny is not in good shape and has some food that won't empty from his gut and this has been prescribed to help.

Max has nibbled about at food, but have not really seen him eat anything much. He is still very quiet. So will be keeping a very close eye on him today.

All day he has done nothing.... Then at feeding time he was right there waiting. I did watch him eat some pellets. Not his usual amount, but he had a go at them so I am really relieved. He is also moving around a bit at the moment.
Thank you for asking Maizey.

My bun is going through this at the moment so I really sympathise with you, I hope he continues improving :) x

Back