• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

weight loss problem

alaska

New Kit
Hi to everyone i have a male mini lop rabbit i purchased a month ago he was fine when i brought him home but has started to lose weight he no longer has the fat face most bucks have he is also going through bad malt his hair is coming out bad not in lumps but like a dog shedding their coat i am giving him a pro biotic and entra care in his water and plenty of hay any ideas please:love:

It is probably that he is losing his winter coat. Have you been weighing him? It might just be that as his coat changes he looks thinner. How is his eating?

Charlie looks thinner during the summer, He is a lion lop. So long as he is eating and pooing as normal, I wouldn't worry.

He looks like a fatty in the pic below, compared to how he was when I first got him.

S5000922.jpg

Last edited:
weight loss

hi i didnt weigh him when i got him i have spoke to the lady i got him from this morning she thinks he is about 3 years old. i feed my bunnies dodson and horrell rabbit plus pellets he was fed on wagg bunny brunch so bought him a bag of that to mix in he is eating bits but not the amount i would like . I got him out this morning his bum was a bit clogged up but nothing serious. He really is throwing his coat though what i would call a bad malt is there anything i can give him to help him through it x:bunny:

since his diet is normal, try this trick that I use for fur shedding:

Rabbit stomach can have a lot of problem to digest the fur. It can block their intestine.

1) get a bowl of water
2) Wet your hand
3) gently comb your hand on the bunny's fur so your hand grab the fur off the bun

The above helps the fur to shed their fur and get rid off the fur so they can't lick on them. This way, neither your bun or his companion will get fur in their body

At the same time, buy some papaya & pineapple enzyme chew, give 2 tablet weekly, say one on Wed. and one on Sat., the enzyme will break down the fur in their stomach

Back