• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should I do?

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
We went into a P&H today that isnt my usual one and saw a bunny in the adoption section. He had been brought in fighting with his brother- usual story someone brought two baby male bunnies then they got older and fought. The sign on both bunnies read that they should not be kept with another rabbit.

Anyway one of them was in quite a bad way, looking very scraggly, lots of fur missing and a large bite on his ear. They had got him ready to be adopted saying he should be fine!

I just cant stop thinking about him- we are not really looking for another bunny at the minute and he definately isnt a fall in love with an first sight bunny but he just looked so sad and scruffy I felt so sorry for him. I just keep thinking that someone will get him, keep him on his own in a hutch at the bottom of the garden and his ear will get infected. It looked really sore. My OH convinced me to leave him there but I am considering getting him tomorrow. I would aim to get his ear sorted out, get some weight on him and neuter and then rehome him- although I know what im like and he would probably end up staying.

What do people think?

Last edited:
Lucy wasnt a "fall in love with at first sight" bunny when I first saw her on Gumtree and I wasnt looking for another bun. However, my heart ruled my head and I have her now and I am so glad I did:love:

Not much good advice, but I know how you feel x x x

Last edited:
My advice..if you are not looking for another rabbit don't get him
You cannot rehome him if you adopt him from there.

and what will you do next week when they have another sad rabbit in?

I know I really shouldnt take him- but I just cant stop thinking about him. I will definately ring the store and enquire about any treatment he has had as the bite on his ear was quite bad. Should buns have anti-biotics if they have a bad bite to stop them getting infected?

If it were me...hard as it is I would leave him :( I got Jack from P@h adoption and it says on his certificate that if I can no longer care for him I have to return him to them, they have my details etc too.

Its just so hard when you see a bunny like that. I know the buns in rescues should come first etc but at least they will definately go to a good home and are well looked after in rescue. This poor guy could end up going to anyone and it doesnt look as if his bite is being treated if he is in the adoption section already.

Maybe ring PAH and voice your concerns then at least you know you did something?

Hugs hun, I cant go in pet shops anymore. I know some are very good, but even the sight of a bunny for sale makes me sad x x x

I am definately gonna ring tomorrow and raise concerns about him. I hate going in but the only place near me that sells food and litter is P&H!

I would go for it. If you feel you can take on another bunny, then why not. People on here are always saying how there are lots of rabbits needing re-homing, so go for it.

I would go for it. If you feel you can take on another bunny, then why not. People on here are always saying how there are lots of rabbits needing re-homing, so go for it.

They are, but then again I have seen people be very judgemental about people who take P&H bunnies or find bunnies that "jump the rescue queue" so to speak. Its just such a difficult decision, my heart says I cant leave him there, my head says I cant save them all and after him there will always be another.

Nobody is going to blame you for rescuing a bunny from the P@H adoption section. Just consider what you are going to do if he is not bonded with your pair. Will you be able to adopt a fourth bunny? I know it's a hard decision to make and you really want to help the poor bunny but you can't help them all.:(

I wouldnt bond another bunny into my pair for a while. They are hopefully going out in a month or so when we get a new hutch so will have space in the house.

If I did get him he would stay on his own indoors for a while and then I would look into getting him a wife.

This is why I try to avoid pet shops and garden centres selling bunnies. Its difficult until you are in that position. I remember once I was in a petshop and there was one guinea pig being bullied by the others and mum really wanted to take it home. We didn't in the end but I know how you feel. On the other hand there are lots of needy bunnies in rescues. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

I have two boys from the P@h adoption. They had been brought in together then separated due to fighting. I was in the same position you are with this bunny, I felt that I just couldn't leave them there so we took them both with the aim of getting them neutered, bonded them re homed but they're still with us :) If you have the space to take on this bunny then I'd say go for it but beware that he may have other health issues. Good luck!

Back