• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just got an adopted female for my Rabbit(bonding)

Maria786

Warren Scout
I went to RSPCA and finally got florence. She is in the new hutch in the garden and he is out and about free ranging. When shall I start the bonding? They are both curious and have sniffed each other through the mesh wire.

Please help

Last edited:
I would give them some time to smell each other first before trying to bond. There is lots of advice on here about bonding, some take them for a ride in the car together first.

If you are feeling brave and they look Ok in a couple of hours, you could try them in a confined NEUTRAL place to see what happens.

I have kept mine separate for a few weeks in the past and smelling each other, but that was due to circumstances.

Good luck.

I have not kept up to date with your buns. Are they both neutered and vaccinated?

If they are not I woud suggest getting these done first, waiting 2 weeks in between each one. Then after 2 weeks you should be ok for getting on with bonding them together.

If they are both neutered and vaccinated then you can start as soon as you want. I would suggest leaving it until you have at least 48 hours free so that you can start and keep going without the need to separate them.

I have not kept up to date with your buns. Are they both neutered and vaccinated?

If they are not I woud suggest getting these done first, waiting 2 weeks in between each one. Then after 2 weeks you should be ok for getting on with bonding them together.

If they are both neutered and vaccinated then you can start as soon as you want. I would suggest leaving it until you have at least 48 hours free so that you can start and keep going without the need to separate them.

My rabbit Peter has been neutered about 4 weeks ago. Florence was neutered by the RSPCA just recently I think. She just arrived today, I have taken her out of the hutch and swapped her free ranging and put Peter in to have a sniff inside. Is that ok?

I want to start asap. I hope I don't make any mistake!

Ok there has been humping by Peter and she has been submissive. Do I leave them alone? He keeps nipping her ears and won't leave her alone. She looks fed up.

If you are bonding them now then they shouldnt be separated. Humping, chasing and nipping are all to be expected in the early days and as long so neither bun is being overly aggressive you are best to leave them to sort it out between themselves. Are they in the hutch now or inside? You should really supervise them over night if they are still bonding.

If you are bonding them now then they shouldnt be separated. Humping, chasing and nipping are all to be expected in the early days and as long so neither bun is being overly aggressive you are best to leave them to sort it out between themselves. Are they in the hutch now or inside? You should really supervise them over night if they are still bonding.

I have put them in an unused hutch. It's neuteral for them.

Is it outside though? I wouldnt leave them on their own overnight.

As long as she is staying submissive then I think its ok- just make sure he isnt doing any damage and she doesnt get annoyed and turn on him.

It's inside the house. When he turns away after humping, she sniffs his behind. And teases him I think and then plays hard to get.

I bonded my two the other week and they were sniffing each others bums alot. And Strawberry humped and chased Snowdrop for a few days before it calmed down.

It seems scary when he humps her hard and pulls fur, I panicked, and now I realise that it's normal. Sorry for all these posts :lol:

phew!

Thank God you were online today and helped me. The buns are resting side by side now and I will keep an eye on them tonight, but your approach to bonding is fantastic!

xx

Sounds good to me, just keep with it and they will be fine.

You may find after about 24 hours the bun who is the non dominant trys to assert some authority, it doesnt always happen ... however this is also normal.

Back