• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Think i need to move the hutch - advice please.

BwfcAngel

Mama Doe
I need to move my 7 foot hutch from where it is now, up to the top of my garden. At the minute it is right opposite the back door in a little sheltered 'corridor' area of the garden. As it is gated, they use the rest of the area as a run. I need to move the hutch to the top of the yard cos my puppy Chester, needs to do his business outside the back door as that bit is gated off.

The thing im concerned about it that if the hutch is in the sun all day, will it affect the temperature inside? Does anyone else have their hutches out of shelter? Where they are now is sheltered by two high walls so it stays nice and cool in the summer and sheltered in the winter.

The alternative is buying a run so when the rabbits would get access to the area when im in, they go in the run at top of the garden, so then Chester can do his thing. But then that would mean that when the rabbits are in their hutch, Chester will have to ignore them and have his wee (chance will be a fine thing) Any ideas???

Hi, its important you don't place the hutch in the sun as i find that rabbits generally prefer to be in the shade (unless indulging in a spot of sunbathing!). You also need to spot to be sheltered from strong winds. Near the house is usually good as you can get shelter there and in the winter, the 2' around the perimeter of the house tends to be more frost free due to the heat lost from the house. If you really do need to move the hutch, make sure its a sheltered spot out of direct wind and sun. Wooden structures can get quite warm in the summer and this would be potentially dangerous for your buns. Keep the hutch in the shade.

Sounds like your hutch is in the perfect place at the moment. I've heard rabbits and dogs can get along just fine and as he is only a pup you would probably have a good sucess if you train him now :wave:

Sounds like your hutch is in the perfect place at the moment. I've heard rabbits and dogs can get along just fine and as he is only a pup you would probably have a good sucess if you train him now :wave:

he's at the chasing and pawing stage at the minute. Eventually he'll be ok. i just wasn't sure about whether i wanted him weeing and pooing where they play. Obviously i would remove it and swill it with boiling water down the drain as soon as he had done it. It's just the drain is in their play area :(

He is lovely! I really don't think the bunnies will have a problem with him using their play area his toilet, think about wild bunnies, the hop about all day in all kinds of other animals pee and po, and don't catch anything, and people with free range garden bunnies with dogs too. They (probably) don't hose down their gardens every day!

I think it'll be fine!

Back