• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urine Scald

kerry-123

Mama Doe
Hi, if anyone read my other post Sticky (one of the baby buns) had a big clump of poo stuck to his fur (we got it off and clipped away any other matted fur) but I think he may have urine scald. I've grown very attached to him and want to make sure he's okay. How do I treat this?

PS Had to repost in right section

You need to bathe the area ideally to neutralise the effects of the amonia. After that it is a case of making sure the area is dry and protected from further scalding. A barrier cream, can be good, while the area is still inflamed and will help soothe and heal.

You need to bathe the area ideally to neutralise the effects of the amonia. After that it is a case of making sure the area is dry and protected from further scalding. A barrier cream, can be good, while the area is still inflamed and will help soothe and heal.

Okay so just put him in some shallow water? Warm-ish? And what barrier cream where could I buy it?

You really need to take him to the vets to find out why it's happening and get some treatment i'm afraid

You really need to take him to the vets to find out why it's happening and get some treatment i'm afraid

I think he may have lied in some of Scooch's poo (hers were a bit runny but they are fine now) and it has gotten stuck to him. Because when I had him out he was pooing and peeing.

Yes absolutely, you need to find the source of the problem and get that treated, but in the interim, to prevent the symptoms worsening, causing more discomfort ( not to mention increased fly strike risk) I would give his back end a warm shallow bathe, make sure it's dry and apply a barrier cream. You can get the cream from the chemist, get one that has no perfume or anything in it. The baby aisle in a supermarket, may have it too.

Yes absolutely, you need to find the source of the problem and get that treated, but in the interim, to prevent the symptoms worsening, causing more discomfort ( not to mention increased fly strike risk) I would give his back end a warm shallow bathe, make sure it's dry and apply a barrier cream. You can get the cream from the chemist, get one that has no perfume or anything in it. The baby aisle in a supermarket, may have it too.

Okay thanks guys I'll give him a wee bath now just incase I buy the wrong one would you know the name of any good ones??

Okay thanks guys I'll give him a wee bath now just incase I buy the wrong one would you know the name of any good ones??

When I was nursing one of my buns, who didn't have the use of her back end, I just used a boots own, zinc and caster oil cream. It wasn't a 'brand' as such it was just their own. If you are worried, or the stuff on the shelves is confusing, ask over the counter at the chemist for a non perfumed, barrier cream, like zinc and caster oil and they should be able to help.

If it is still pink or sore on Monday, be worth giving the vets a call in case there is infection in there.

When I was nursing one of my buns, who didn't have the use of her back end, I just used a boots own, zinc and caster oil cream. It wasn't a 'brand' as such it was just their own. If you are worried, or the stuff on the shelves is confusing, ask over the counter at the chemist for a non perfumed, barrier cream, like zinc and caster oil and they should be able to help.

Thanks will do :wave: Keep you updated

You can use E45 to soothe the skin, allow that to sink in then use vaseline as a barrier. Do not use sudocrem as it contain anti-bacterials that will affect bacteria in the gut if your bunny licks the cream - which it prob will!

If the area is sore/broken you can use a very dilute solution of Hibiscrub (from Chemist, only a couple of £) to bathe then dry - I just use a cotton wool pad to bathe - then put the barrier cream on.

You can use E45 to soothe the skin, allow that to sink in then use vaseline as a barrier. Do not use sudocrem as it contain anti-bacterials that will affect bacteria in the gut if your bunny licks the cream - which it prob will!

thank you !! I was justt about to write that I couldn't get the cream yesterday because the chemist only had perfumed ones and the only other one around was closed. I'll put it on him today (I just had to bathe him yesterday) I have E45 and vaseline :D

Back