• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I can't afford it

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
I feel so bad... Jazz is costing me at least £140 a month on vets bills.... All my savings are gone and i'm hundreds of pounds in debt. I feel awful, I hardly ever spend money on myself and am still struggling! People keep saying I should have him pts and tbh if it carries on like this for the next year I'm going to have to consider it :cry:

I'm really sorry :( What is wrong with him? Maybe you could rehome him to someone who can afford it. Must be awful having this hanging over you :(

Aw hun, your really going through it aint you with Jazzy. I cant suggest anything but sending you lots of cyber hugs and I do hope you find a solution to it.

All my love hunnie x x x

Im not sure what treatment Jazz is on but can you get your vet to write a prescription for any medication you need and buy from VetUK online (or another online store) as you usually save at least 50% on most things.

Is it possible to be referred to the PDSA, RSPCA or other charity for future treatment? Some charities will take referrals for people in debt/low incomes etc.

I really feel for you. :(

He has dental problems :cry: I really can't rehome him, that just isn't an option I love him to bits... My first rabbit that I've had for 4 years :cry: xxxx

I tried pdsa but I can't get it, as I still live at home and I work :( my family arnt able to help, and if it wasn't for my boss I don't know what I'd do :(

He has dental problems :cry: I really can't rehome him, that just isn't an option I love him to bits... My first rabbit that I've had for 4 years :cry: xxxx

Is it a case of conscious or GA dentals? (sorry I haven't kept up with many threads lately)
Im wondering if another surgery can do it cheaper for you or if your vet would be willing to give you a discount seeing as its so regular?
Worth asking your vet?
Any meds like metacam and antibiotics etc can be bought online with a prescription for when needed too. :wave:

Gosh hun I am so sorry :(

I totally understand, Lily costs me a fortune in vets bills aswell, with her dentals and her tummy playing up.

I think if I was in your situation exactly, and was forced to make a hard decision, I'd bring myself to rehome, as I couldnt bear the thought of pts.

How come you couldnt rehome?

Thinking of you <3

I just wouldn't trust anyone plus gizmo would have to to too as they are bonded :( Im hoping his dentals will get further apart.

:( you poor thing.

I hope everything sorts out. Are the dentals under GA? The last one Lily had was £90 at vets4pets. Are there deffinately not any other vets near by?

Its so irritating that the insurance can't cover things like this :(

Yes it's GA dentals. He normally shows no sign of pain until a couple days before he needs it done so that's £40 on meds an near enough £100 for the dental. :(
Yes there's other vets but they are the same if not more expensive.

It sounds like and awful situation.
£140 is alot: could they not do him under light sedation? should be cheaper. Or maybe you could speak to the manager about a payment plan.
If you can get him to eat lots of grass and hay you might be able to increase the interval between dentals (this may happen anyway if they are doing a thorough job).
The only other thing I can suggest is to try and get a part time job at a vets on your days off: they should give you a hefty staff discount

Can you not find a different vet as UI think your charges are dreadful
Aslo try asking your vet for a prescription for the drugs then buy online..will save you lots

I've tried all different kinds of hay and the only one he'll eat is the one I can no longer get hold of :( he eats grass though. It's almost £100 for the dental and about £40 for pain meds before hand.

You can ask them to give you a written prescription for the meds and get then yourself online. They may charge for the prescription though

That is incredibly expensive. How can your vet justify these costs?

Would you be able to drive a bit further to get to a cheaper vet, if it is only a once a month thing?
What was the hay that you can't find any longer?

Back