• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

weight loss?

winnies angel

Mama Doe
Angel was a 4.8kg bun she went on diet with Winnie and lost bit weight but now she is back trying to get fattened up as she lost way too much!
No matter how much we are feeding her her weight is getting worse she is now 2.5kgs. She cant eat hay so gets hay cubes broken up and lots of greens aswell as nuggetts. Has anyone else had this problem?
We are giving baby food (bun) to try and fatten now next step is any pet shop food then if no better full bloods etc to be done.
Any ideas what this may be and whats best thing to feed to fatten buns up?
Any help greatly appreciated

When were her teeth last examined?
Is she drinking and weeing more than normal?
A FBP would be useful to determine Kidney/Liver function.
Is she on any longterm medication, especially Metacam?
Has she been treated with a 28 day course of Fenbendazole recently ?
Are her poos normal in size and quantity?

Sorry for all the questions but a few more details might help us make useful suggestions :)

Soz shes eating like apig, drinks just the same as always has. Wees just the same. Poops are great.
She is on long term eye drops has dentals every 5-6 month just had one tuesday but was weighed 3 weeks before that and was 2.7kgs when weighed tues she is 2.5
She gets pellets morning and night good 2 tablespoons and in between handfuls. She has lots of greens and gets toast when we have it (vet said feed her it whenever she wants it)
When we first got her she wouldnt eat for weeks and lost weight to point she was seriously underweight she has been fine since but now it seems more we feed her the more weight she loses.
She is on herbal remedies which vet knows about. But she was put on diet with winnie just for the ride really keep him company but after couple of weeks her weight had dropped quite a bit compared to him so vet said to let her eat and since then its just got worse not better.
Shes had all jabs, spey and just been wormed. Shes fine in herself.
At xmas animal communicator felt Angel had problems with weeing as she felt really full, Angel wees a lot in garden and does go during day but her big wee what i think she saves for is at 7pm after supper. I'm wondering if she has some stomach issues.
Do you think if she has lost weight by 2 weeks (her next weigh in, they both go every 2 weeks to be weighed) I have the right to ask for bloods to be done and poss x-ray of stomach? Or should I wait for vet. Im real worried esp if you saw what she eats compared to Winnie and hes getting fatter.

What eyedrops is she on?

I would suggest asking your Vet to carry out further diagnostics as continued weightloss is always a cause for concern.

Corn is meant to be fattening, under the circumstance, I would give 1/2 full length corn per day.

How old is the bun? Because w/ wt. loss of this degree, it is possible that we are dealing w/ cancer. So if the diet can do some test to make sure it's not cancer, now would be a good time.

Corn is meant to be fattening, under the circumstance, I would give 1/2 full length corn per day.

How old is the bun? Because w/ wt. loss of this degree, it is possible that we are dealing w/ cancer. So if the diet can do some test to make sure it's not cancer, now would be a good time.

Thats what I have been thinking to although I dont want to but it is really scary from what she has been eating.
Corn is this hard or soft? She cant eat hard bits and not keen on soft unless its popcorn you think popcorn would be any good? Sorry that sounds stupid:oops:
Think il try manuka honey

Thats what I have been thinking to although I dont want to but it is really scary from what she has been eating.
Corn is this hard or soft? She cant eat hard bits and not keen on soft unless its popcorn you think popcorn would be any good? Sorry that sounds stupid:oops:

I really would not advise you feeding Manuka Honey.
A rabbits guts cant cope with high sugar content foods and serious life threatening gut dysbiosis can occur.
IMO your Bun needs more conventional Veterinary diagnostics if the weightloss continues or if she fails to regain condition.
I am all for complimentary treatments, as is my Vet. But only in conjunction with conventional Veterinary Care and after a diagnosis has been established.

Good luck :)

That's just fresh corn on the cob at the supermarket. 10 yr. ago when I don't know anything about bun, I used to feed my 2nd bunny Happy Bunny with corn on the cob in the summer. We only have this from mid May to Sept. or so.

if you think it is cancer, it can still be fixed. You need to find out what kind of cancer it is, and where's the tumor. My bridge bun Goofball had bone cancer, but I feed her w/ 12 oz. of blackberry, plus acaiberry juice, daily, and got rid of the cancer. So if you assume it's cancer, you can do the same.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=91411

I really would not advise you feeding Manuka Honey.
A rabbits guts cant cope with high sugar content foods and serious life threatening gut dysbiosis can occur.
IMO your Bun needs more conventional Veterinary diagnostics if the weightloss continues or if she fails to regain condition.
I am all for complimentary treatments, as is my Vet. But only in conjunction with conventional Veterinary Care and after a diagnosis has been established.

Good luck :)

Yeah my bunny has been to vet she goes every 2 weeks for there checkups. But obv Im trying to do stuff in meantime as I cant just sit and wait I want to try and fatten her up so that if there is a problem then she has the best poss chance of over coming it.

Back