• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neighbour just got a rabbit....

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
My Neighbour has just got a rabbit!
I was upstairs cleaning out the buns when i noticed a rabbit hutch in the garden. Ive not seen it before so knew they had just got it!
Their 2 boys (one about 8 the other about 3) were fighting over it in the garden thats when i saw the bunny.

I think its a Dutch (nearest pet shop has dutch in just now) in a 3ft Hutch:? :evil::evil:

No run attached or dettached so the poor thing has nowhere to run about :evil:

Now i dont know them at all and dont want to tell them what to do so how do i let them know whats best?

Any ideas as i cant stand watching this poor animal in such a small cage with 2 screaming children :cry:

How about post some information through their door?
Or just knock on their door or wait till you see them next and bring up bunnies...
Hope they look after them properly :(

I would attempt the nice approach first!

Sort of "ooooh you have a bunny, can I come and see" ooooh aint he lovely, I bet it will be great when he gets a run and you can let him out in the sunshine".

How about post some information through their door?
Or just knock on their door or wait till you see them next and bring up bunnies...
Hope they look after them properly :(

Thing is ive never spoken to them once in 2 years of living here (have to say not my next door neighbour but 2 doors down if you get me)

Leaflets are good, any good ones about or i could write information down and print it off and post it to them giving my name and address so they can come for help if they need it plus if they decide to give the bunny up they could come to me before abandoning him/her (think its a him as the boys were saying 'hes so cute')
I will mention i noticed they had a bunny and thought i would pass on some good information :)

You could go round and say you noticed they had a rabbit and you had some pellets or hay that yours didn't like and whether they would like it and then start a conversation up about how rabbits need lots of space.

You could go round and say you noticed they had a rabbit and you had some pellets or hay that yours didn't like and whether they would like it and then start a conversation up about how rabbits need lots of space.

Oh good idea......im going to write out a few things and a list of safe foods and how to notice if they are ill. Im giving them my address as if they need anything at all they can come round to me and im giving them a sheet with the farms address and number to get their hay, food, megazorb etc. and with the hay experts website!

What can i write about?
Ive got:

Feeding,
Housing,
General health and what to look for,
Preventing boredom - toys etc,

And i will make up a little pack with some A&P (as i buy a 20kg sack and dont use it all they could have enough without paying!), some different hays and a little megazorb to see if they would prefer that!

I dont want them to think im cheeky so why will i say im doing it? Not everyone is that nice :lol:

Does this sound ok for Diet?

Diet

A Rabbits diet is the most important part of giving a bunny a happy healthy life. Like the wild Rabbits their diet must consist of hay and grass.
90% of a Rabbits daily diet should be Fibre found mostly in hay and grass. Give a Rabbit UNLIMITED amount of hay, the more they eat of it, the better. Hey should be GREEN and SWEET smelling, brown dusty hay shouldnt be fed.

Rabbit pellets and mixes arent a vital part of a bunnies diet so should be fed in small quantities, for example i feed my bunnies a tablespoon of pellets daily, it does sound harsh but they eat plenty of grass and hay.
The best pellets i have found is either Excel or Allen and Page pellets. I feed my Allen and Page as i buy 20kg sack for £10 (information on seperate sheet.) the best pellets have a HIGH fibre content and LOW protein
content.

Veg can be fed daily (I have included a sheet of safe veg) All new foods should be given gradually as bunnies have very sensitive tummies and can get serious problems. Introduce only 1 new veg at a time.
Fruit can be given but occasionally as a treat because of the high sugar content.

Rabbit treats bought from pet shops arent very good for bunnies and can cause some problems. They can either not be given or given very occasionally as again they are full of sugar which isnt good for Rabbits.

An Indication of a good diet is there poo, Big, round golden poo is good news!

Whats the reccomended hutch size and give me reasons for a big hutch, like does a small hutch cause any harm to the bunny (getting health problems?)

Back