• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

shall I or shan't I

sarahslc

Warren Scout
Me and o/h were in pah last night and there were the most adorable pair of lionheads in the adoption centre. o/h wanted to adopt them but I'm in two minds, its been two weeks since we lost Lady so we only have Ruby now, but I said to him as much as I love having them I get so upset when they go to the bridge I just don't know if I can do it again. I wouldn't be so bad if they lived to a ripe old age and died peacefully in their sleep, so far thats not been the case for me its always been illness:cry:
So I don't know what to do anyone else had similar feelings - what did you do?

When i lost first bunny patch back in 2004 she was PTS i was devastated my mum said no more about 2/3 weeks later i got daisy and maisy then along came roger then i had princess who i took on from the rescue as she was really poorly but she had a fit and died then i took in a bunny who was found in someones garden she went to live with my cousin after about 2 weeks. Then i took on milly i was in 2 minds weather to keep her or put her up for rehoming then 2 weeks later she gave birth to 4 babies i now have milly and 2of her babies the other 2 were rehomed to a lady of here then i rehomed hunny to be bonded with harley. It is really hard when you lose them but the reards you get when you have them tottally out weight the upset of losing them. you will never replace a bunny as they will always be in your heart

We've been through our fair share of premature heartbreak. In a nutshell, we have lost our only bunny (and each time, our only pet) twice in the space of 17 months from completely different but totally unavoidable illnesses. None of my bunnies have lived to a ripe old age. Sassy got to 6, Lily got to 4.5, Luna only got to 3 :cry: (yet somehow, childhood friend who kept all their rabbits unneutered and unvaccinated in small hutches had theirs live until 8 or 9 each time...) Looking at those ages, increasing our level of knowledge and care each time seems to only be taking us backwards in lifespan, but I know that's not the case. Even with the best will, knowledge, and care in the whole world, there will always be something to go wrong that you can't predict nor see before it's too late.

However 4 weeks after Luna passed away, we came home with Sora and Smudge. Even though our hearts were still broken, it felt like the right thing to do and they are so happy here now :) it feels like a lovely tribute. Before Luna we had been 6 months without a bunny or any pet and the loneliness that came with such a situation was only making the depression worse.

The difference here is that we were completely bunnyless, whereas you still have one bunny. If we lost either of these two I make every effort to bond the remaining one to another bunny, I'd have to put my own grief to one side and think of the bunny in that situation.

All I can say is heartbreak will always be involved with having any pet somewhere down the line, there is no way to change that. However, heartbreak shows just how much you loved and cared for them. If it feels right for you to get them then go for it :)

(PS. - You live near me :wave: )

Last edited:
:wave: We do live close. My mum and dad live in farmborough which is even closer to you.

We have tried bonding ruby but no luck so far, she seems happier with a stuffed bunny toy:roll:

I know rescuing two more buns would be a wonderful tribute to those we have lost its just such a hard decision to make!

Back