• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites

willowholly

Mama Doe
My vet said after care of first treatment for mites is to change bedding and clean cage thoroughly.She said just vaccuming rugs is enough as B has very little mites.Thought would wash what rugs I could.Do you agree this is enough?What about B herself,should I wash the patch or just comb her regularly?

:wave: id wash what you can..i take it were talking house bunny here?

the mites are interested where theres close contact between bunny and other warm mammals including humans..they cant live on us but can cause a nasty skin reaction. they can however be passed onto other furries in the house..they are fur mites after all. but touch wood ive never had that problem even with two cats who hug and sleep with our buns.

if its an indoor cage with a plastic base id remove all beding say except for a towel until the mite treatments have finished. thats if the mites are very bad...its easier in summer..my poor bif had a horrific infestation jan 2008 and lost most of her fur depsite being treated by the vet and myself. I found a diferent drop on treatment and it worked within a fortnight she was clear..i used it to dose my other buns as a prevention too but she was the only one who got mites due to stasis and dental probs as well as stress of bonding and xmas n new year!!

has your vet given you the xeno 450 drops or has bunny been given shots of ivermectin?

its a good idea to check for a underlying health problem too as most buns have one or two mites but they dont breed and infest unless the bunny is ill or under a lot of stress etc.

when i had my handheld steam cleaner id use that to clean the cage esp the bits where the bars join the base.

if its a hutch youve got..then i can only recommend steamin the hutch and wshing the bedding..

hope it helps...:wave:

Ive read steam cleaning makes things worse-not sure if thats true.Vet thinks b got mites cos she had a severe bout of cystitis in Feb and was bonded a month after.She had the injection and has to go back next week for another.Dill had 2 tubes of Spot On as a preventitive measure as he is showing no signs.She hasn't got it bad,just a tiny little patch.Its difficult to see her skin as,and as you will agree,Frenchies fur is so thick to see through.

oh yes.....i know only too well!!! bertie got infestated when he first came here..stress form leaving his old home i think. ot was awful..frenchies fur are bad enough but rews seem to have longer thicker fur or is it just bertie..willow had lovley fawn and white fur and she was flufty like a teddy bear...i mis that nutter so much:lol:

i know it can make other things worse bit if it kills off dustmites..its gong ot be of some help honest..i swear by it.

my steam cleaner has just broken..im sooo upset...i still have my steam mop but no actual cleaner..its amazing what you can do with the pet stuff..it removes fur lovley off their teddies etc and rugs with the brush attachment much better than the hoover alone can;)

i hope the problem clears up soon xx

Back