• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"Why Shouldn't You Use Wood Shavings"

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Thought I'd share with RUer's both new to rabbits and those who aren't a written piece that I was given a long time ago at the rescue centre where I was a volunteer, which confirmed me in my decision not to use shavings/sawdust.

"Why Shouldn‘t You Use Wood Shavings/Sawdust?

There has long been anecdotal evidence amongst keepers of small animals that shavings are bad for*small animal*health. Commonly reported problems are overly dry skin leaving the animal prone to skin mites, fungal skin infections and frequent, itchy and patchy moulting.

Eye problems are also commonly reported*and this is likely to be due to sharp splinter type*dusty particles entering the eyes.

There*are also*overwhelmingly frequent*reports of respiratory problems. It was thought this is likely to be due to the exceptionally drying nature of shavings and recently there has been extensive scientific research into the subject with not altogether surprising findings!* Because ammonia (the strongly alkaline chemical in urine) reacts with the wood,*toxic chemicals (called phenols) are released on contact. The main irritant in cedar is plicatic acid and western red cedar contains the highest concentrations. In pine, the main irritant is abietic acid, sometimes called sylvic acid. Studies in humans exposed to cedar and pine wood over long periods of time have shown a clear link with chronic chest disease. Conclusive links have also been made with cancers and liver damage (there is an excellent review of all these studies by Laura Tessmer at cavycages.com/pine.htm).

There is no reason to believe that the effects in rabbits are any less significant and indeed they may be more significant given that rabbits have a high metabolic rate and a relatively short lifespan (compared to humans).* It would also be sensible to assume the effects are multiplied by the fact that so many hutched rabbits live at ground level, moving around in constant contact with the shavings and the surrounding air.

When the RSPCA re-launched its rabbit care guides to reflect new Animal Welfare Act laws, its specifically advises against the use of shavings, another indicator that main stream animal care advice is falling into line with growing evidence that shavings are indeed dangerous to small animal health. The scientific evidence*simply validates*what diligent owners and vets have already been saying for years.

Given that there are now so many safe, hazard free alternatives easily and widely available on the market, it is the rescues policy that*it is*unacceptable to risk the health and welfare of the rabbits by choosing to use shavings in.* Therefore,*we mainly use Megazorb at the rescue but you may also see us using Carefresh, Bio-Catolet, Bob Martin Recycled Paper Litter, Yesterdays News, Hutch Hemp, Aubiose, Eco-Bed, Eco Straw, Back 2 Nature, or just fresh hay and newspaper. "

Last edited:
Great post. Sums up my opinions and knowledge exactly with some extra information too but is put in a much better way than I ever could. :D

Back