• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

zithromax, how much water to it?

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
can someone help me with how to prepare the zithromax please. i have the 15ml box and it has a small bottle with powder. the vet mixed the first lot and i don't know how much water he added.

help please as matt needs it soon. thanks.

managed to get enough out of the old bottle so i can ring the vets tomorrow and ask how to mix it. i just thought it would be written on the label...but no. :roll:

the instructions are on the box, but i don't know if they're right for rabbits, or if that's the human dose, so didn't want to risk that.

matts so good having the medicine. he is such a good bunny. :love:

i'm sure its the same as on the box but i got my vet to mix it for me too as i'd hate to get things like that wrong! I thought the zithromax was amazing and it cured my headtilt bunny! out of interest what are you using it for? as is it working?

it says add 9ml of water to the powder and shake well. i did this and it didn't look right compared to the first bottle which the vets made up for me!

i just added a tiny bit more water and shook it again and it seems ok now. maybe a tad too much water but before that extra bit it was too gooey!

matt is on it for his snuffles. both bisc and matt were on penicillin injections and then i noticed matts nose looking a bit damp again so i took him back to the vets and he was chnaged onto the zithromax instead. bisc is still on the penicillin.

i think the zithromax is good actually. matt is back on track again now, so hopefully this suits him better than the penicillin. he's on a three month couse so hopefully this will be the right treatment for him this time.

glad your bunny got better with it. :)

By adding additional water the medication will become more dilute. I would inform your vet how much water has been added so that the correct dose can be worked out to ensure that a therapeutic dose is administered.

i phoned and asked the vet and he said to put a tiny bit more water and shake it again and it will be ok for matt. :)

Back