• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pics of the animals I met in Namibia as a volunteer at an animal sanctuary

Bunnyaddict

Wise Old Thumper
Some of you may remember that last November I was lucky enough to be able to spend just over 3 weeks as a volunteer at an animal sanctuary called Harnas in Nambia. The sanctuary basically rescues all sorts of African wildlife that have been abused, neglected, orphaned or even bought as pets! - including cheetahs and lions - many of which are just dumped on their doorstep. As the animals cannot be released back into the wild because of how they have come to be at the sanctuary - it is a safe haven for them to live out the rest of their days in peace and safety. Not ideal I know as the animals should really be in the African wilderness, but it is the next best thing for them.

The sanctuary is 10,000 hectares in size, so is nothing like a zoo - it's a huge reserve that basically looks after their every need. It's family run and they do a wonderful job, given that they are funded by donations and volunteers.

Mark bless him was an absolute star and stayed at home to look after our bunny brood and cats, whilst I went off on my own.

I've been looking at my photos again tonight as I'm going to a reunion in Derby tomorrow to meet up with the friends that I made there. I realised I'd never shared any of my photos with you guys - so thought I'd post some - hope you like them.

Me with Zion the lion, one of the lions they have hand reared.
DSCF2622-1.jpg
DSCF2623-1.jpg
DSCF3102.jpg

Hanging out with the cheetahs, including sleeping out with them at night
DSCF2827.jpg
DSCF2693.jpg
DSCF3056.jpg

DSCF2790.jpg
DSCF2509.jpg
DSCF3047.jpg
Goeters, the elderly looking cheetah is 28 years old bless him & was just like a normal cat! The baby cheetahs came in because their mum had been shot by a farmer & had to be put to sleep - poor little loves.

Baby lion cubs the sanctuary we're hand rearing, that happened to live with Sherbert the piglet & Zippy the pup!
DSCF2887.jpg
DSCF2894.jpg
DSCF2895.jpg

There were also loads of other animals there - such as leopards, baboons including baby baboons, characals, meerkats, donkeys, giraffes, antelope, domestic dogs and cats, loads of different birds, including ostriches, african wild dogs and even a bunny called Marshmallow! He had beautiful blue eyes :love:

DSCF2702.jpg
DSCF3044.jpg
DSCF2512.jpg

DSCF2784.jpg
DSCF3053.jpg
DSCF2490.jpg

DSCF2570.jpg

I felt so privileged to have been able to get so close to so many wonderful animals - it was a very special experience and something I will never forget. I cried like a baby when I had to come home. It was very hard work, especially as we had to chop up meat for the big cats - something I really struggled with - but it had to be done. The days were long but so rewarding and I made friends there I hope I will keep for life.

I really hope to be able to go back one day - but it won't be for a very long time. It's something I would really recommend to anyone if you get the opportunity to do it.

Those pics are absolutely stunning :love:
Something to treasure forever! Well done you for doing that iim sure it must have been sooo rewarding :D

Thanks hun - it was so rewarding, it had been a life long dream to do something like that & I'd never got the chance. I decided last year I needed to get my a** in gear & do it as the age limit for that particular sanctuary is 40 years old & I'm fast running out of time! :shock::roll:

Wow that look amazing, I love the lions my Fav animal (of course after bunnies:D) Looks like you had a great time :D
Thats something i would love to do it would be a great experience.
How come bunny was there? He looks gorgeous :love:
Your so lucky to get that close to a lion, so jealous :lol:

Thanks - I was so scared going on my own all that way, but god it was worth every minute of it.

Marshmallow bless him had been brought in by the nanny that looks after the family's children. Her brother had him for his children & they got bored of him :cry: See it even happens in Africa with bunnies :evil:

Have to say the lions were amazing, but god I was very nervous & apprehensive at first with Zion - in fact I was terrified!!! :shock: But he was just like a big pussycat - although you never forgot that he was a wild animal after all.

Thanks - I was so scared going on my own all that way, but god it was worth every minute of it.

Marshmallow bless him had been brought in by the nanny that looks after the family's children. Her brother had him for his children & they got bored of him :cry: See it even happens in Africa with bunnies :evil:

Have to say the lions were amazing, but god I was very nervous & apprehensive at first with Zion - in fact I was terrified!!! :shock: But he was just like a big pussycat - although you never forgot that he was a wild animal after all.

I would be scared of them aswel but deffo worth it :D
Poor bunny, Just goes to show that no matter what country your in theres always going to be animals to rescue :roll:

What sort of things did you do? Hope you didnt have to clean up the poo :lol: Its amazing that you can get the close to a wild animal, Imagine a Lion or Cheeta as a pet :shock: No one would break into your house :lol:

How did you hear about going over? I never knew you could volunteer abroad :roll:

I would be scared of them aswel but deffo worth it :D
Poor bunny, Just goes to show that no matter what country your in theres always going to be animals to rescue :roll:

What sort of things did you do? Hope you didnt have to clean up the poo :lol: Its amazing that you can get the close to a wild animal, Imagine a Lion or Cheeta as a pet :shock: No one would break into your house :lol:

How did you hear about going over? I never knew you could volunteer abroad :roll:

I know I thought that when I met Marshmallow :cry: it doesn't matter what country you're in, sadly there will always be a need for rescues & sanctuaries :cry: And all because of what the human race subjects the animals too :evil:

Funnily enough we did have to clean up poo! :lol::lol::lol: But honestly it wasn't that bad - just bigger poo than I was used to! We got to take the lion cubs out regularly for walks, as well as the cheetahs for runs, walking the teenage baboons (that was a nightmare, because the little devils used to attack you & pee & poo all over you! :shock:), preparing all the food for the animals & basically spending as much time with them as you could.

It also involved quite a lot of physical work like repairing enclosures & fencing, digging new waterholes etc - that was tiring but good at the same time.

I found out about it by googling Wildlife conservation in Africa & found a company called Gap Year for Grown Ups - I booked it through them, but you can book it direct with the sanctuary. Which I found out after I'd booked & paid for it :roll: It would have been cheaper to do it that way! :? You basically have to pay for your food, accomodation & flight - which I know sounds a lot, but to be that close to the animals & that hands on - it was worth it.

Oh wow, Denise those photos are amazing and what an awesome experience. :love: (Well, apart from the poo shovelling :lol:).

Amazing photographs!

I love the big cats, all so beautiful. It must have been exhilarating to spend time with Zion the lion!

My brother has just returned from South Africa, and a visit to the lion park in Jo'burg (very dubious ethics and I'm not at all sure what its credentials are in terms of animal welfare etc). However, he's emailed me pics of him and my niece stroking little white lion cubs and my disapproval was somewhat diminished by jealousy :lol:

Hope you're having a great time at the reunion :wave:

I keep coming back to these pics :lol::love:

You must be quite a strong person as im unsure if i could go all that way myself and do what you did - even though i would love the chance. It would be a dream come true. I ws going to say you are very lucky but tbh you made your own luck by going and doing it so well done. If you have any more pics id love to see them :love:

Thanks guys for your lovely comments - these pics are something I will treasure forever & never forget my time there - it was so special & very emotional to be so close to the animals.

Amy, yes Harnas is the place that is on Animal Planet :)

I keep coming back to these pics :lol::love:

You must be quite a strong person as im unsure if i could go all that way myself and do what you did - even though i would love the chance. It would be a dream come true. I ws going to say you are very lucky but tbh you made your own luck by going and doing it so well done. If you have any more pics id love to see them :love:

Thanks hun - I don't know about being a strong person, as I was scared stiff the day I set off on my own :shock: When Mark took me to the train station to get my train to Gatwick I suddenly thought what the b****y hell am I doing? :shock: Once I'd checked in at the airport I went & had a glass of wine to calm me down :shock: It took me a lot of courage to go away on my own & something I'd been wanting to do for ages, but kept bottling it :?

I was lucky to meet up with a great bunch of people at the backpackers lodge that were also going to Harnas - that helped me immensely & made me realise that so many women on their own were in the same boat.

There's load more pics on Facebook - well about 500 of them :shock::oops: If you send me a friend request & tell me your from Minimallow from RU, I'll accept it & you'll then be able to see them all. Better warn you though about the ones were we'd been drinking too much wine & partying a few nights - ummm we do look a bit worse for wear :shock::lol:

Going to set off for the reunion about 5pm tonight & got a whole weekend to catch up with the friends I made there - even 3 of girls I met from America are coming over - I'm so giddy about seeing them all again, I can't wait :D

Ahh but if you were scared then you are a strong person as you fought the fear and still went. You are very brave. I have no idea how to work facebook unfortunately any hints would be great lol

DENISE ... :shock: i had no idea you had done that ....:shock:

wow ... what can i say .... i wish ...ohhhh i wish i had the guts to do it ..(althougfh im 5 yrs over their linit anyway in may :oops::roll: )

but what an experience ... :shock: :D

i look back on m,y life ... i will be 45 in a few weeks ...and i have done nothing ...:(...my life is sooooo booooring ... :evil:

well done .... i liked you already ... now i also have a great admiration for what you have done too :D

That is toally amazing!! you are so lucky, id love to do that! were you not scared they just attacked you.. i think i would :oops: xx

Oh WOW What an amazing life changing experience, I am so jealous. I have always wanted to do something like that at an elephant sanctuary.

Back