• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need help urgent (poo stuck on fur)

kerry-123

Mama Doe
I was checking the babies today and noticed a huge wad of poo stuck on one of them. I was going to try cutting it off but I'm too afraid because it's seems really close to what (I think) is his penis. Need help on how to get it off because I don't want to wait until tomorrow when the vets is open. Please help!!

PS What caused this? They've only had SS pellets and hay?? I'll keep them on hay for now

Last edited:
Can you ease it off by getting it wet? If you try using a wet cloth to get damp between the poo and the fur it might make it pliable enough to peel it off without pulling the fur, or even ease it far enough to safely cut it away.

I had this problem with a baby bun a while ago, it had a runny bum for no reason, took it to the vets and they actually used the 'wetting' method...they filled a sink with warm water, not very deep (about 3 inches or so, enough to submerge the rabbits bum),and placed the rabbit in the sink holding it with one hand and only allowing the bum into the water, gently pulled th poo, and after a few repeats it all came off. Just make sure to dry the rabbit thouroughly.

And if its a baby rabbit especially, keep an eye on it and take it to the vets if it the runny bum doesnt go away, i had a baby die not so long ago, due to a virus (had a post mottem done so it was definately this). Although dont panic, it doesnt mean your rabbit has a virus too, im just saying to warn not to leave it if is for no reason and lasts longer than a day. Good luck!:)

Can you ease it off by getting it wet? If you try using a wet cloth to get damp between the poo and the fur it might make it pliable enough to peel it off without pulling the fur, or even ease it far enough to safely cut it away.

Just an update yeah my mum managed to wet it enough to take it off, he seems more comfortable but I just hope he's alright. Was up with him till like 1 in the morning and had one of his little litter friends down with him in the living room to make him feel better. He was drinking, didn't eat any hay though, but did poo and pee, and flopped out and cleaned himself a little. Do they get too much pellets? I'm taking Scooch out of the cage now to feed her incase that's what it is.

Last edited:
i think its because baby rabbits when they start to poo on their own it can be a bit messy to begin with...one of my baby rabbits had the same problem but it wansnt really close to anything so i just cut it out with baby nail scissors because they are smaller...i didnt cut him/her and him/her is fine :) . but i did get someone to hold the rabbit so i could make sure i didnt cut them when i cut it out

Back