• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I Think I Have Dissidesd.

i will have to get a male:) there is no problem with that anywhay, but my brother is looking for a male & is it okay to leave 2 un neuted boys together for a few days untill neutering? how long can they be together or seprate full stop? xxx

It depends Ashley, if they are from the same litter and are only young then they may be ok. If they are from different litters then I would not risk putting them near each other untill they are neutered, and then not untill 6 weeks after once their hormones have calmed down.

Have you sorted where you getting them from?

If they are pet shop brought and have been kept together then they should be ok for a few days- but they should really have 6 weeks for their hormones to die down before bonding so you may find that even after neutering they could start fighting.

If they are from a rescue then its all much simpler as they will bond them properly for you and they will already be neutered so you dont have to organise that yourself.

and if they were pet shop then would they be okay from about 12 weeks(2 mounth) to nautering?
and ino rescues are better and they're doing my bonding:) is it easy to bond from a young age? x

So am I right in thinking you are buying two babies from a pet shop, neutering yourself and then a rescue is bonding for you?

Im not trying to judge just want to help you work out the best way to sort it all.

If that is what your doing then you will obviously need to buy either two males or two females, one of each WILL have babies.

If you get two males that are kept together in the petshop then *fingers crossed* they should be ok for a few days untill you get them neutered. After this I am not sure whether its best to spilt them for 6 weeks to allow them to recover from the op and their hormones to settle or whether you would be best to put them back together straight after the op and hope they dont start fighting. Splitting them will require two hutches so im not sure that would be an option for you? Have you already got their accomodation sorted?

Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to advise you on what would be best.

Please can i just butt in and say...

I had 2 males, brothers from the same litter. I had only had them a week and one tried to castrate the other. If you think getting 2 males is the easy option it isnt :? I ended up with a £200 vets bill because of it :? They were only 19 weeks old aswell.

It doesnt matter what sexes you get, they will HAVE to be neutered to prevent fights. Remember bunnies will fight to death :?

Ash, I'd recommend (if you are getting from a pet shop or breeder) getting one female and one male and KEEPING THEM SEPARATE FROM DAY ONE TO SIX WEEKS AFTER NEUTERING. This will mean they are separated for longer but it will mean they are more likely to get on. If you get rescues, they'll already be neutered and they'll be bonded, so you won't have to do anything. I have two females, and I was lucky enough that they never fought and I didn't have to separate them, but I had to neuter them as soon as it was possible to do so to prevent the hormones taking over.

oh okay thanks:)
and okay, its ither TONIGHT:D or next week im getting them:)
im thinking getting one then after neutering get another??
or is that bad? x

That's fine ash, as long as you spend loads of time with the single one before getting the other one as he'll be lonely. But for a short amount of time, it's ok. I don't know which gender is best to get first though. (good to see you back. :))

fewww!!!
Lol, and okay:) and i am over my friends and i MIGHT get picked up tonight to get him/her:) i think i might get a female, it dippends on the breed:) we've herd of a pets shop local to me and its a good i mean good breeder, the breeder owns the shop, the rabbits are hid away, kinah, and they have LOADS of room with meany breeds:) x we are going up in about 30mins or so and have a peek to find out where it is:) with my friends mam:) and there are big cadges there(im going to put her/him in a big cadge untill the hutch is ready) xxx

oh okay thanks:)
and okay, its ither TONIGHT:D or next week im getting them:)
im thinking getting one then after neutering get another??
or is that bad? x

thats a good idea,
but make sure you do get him or her neutered soon though :)
Spend lots of time with your new bun to make it confortable around you and friendly :)

Back