• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best Hay & Pellets?

Pinkchi

Warren Scout
There are so many different types of hay i'm a bit confused. Which is the best hay to feed? Is there any specific type or do i need to feed a mixture of a few different ones?

And as for pellets, which is better out of Dodson & Horrell Rabbit Pellets & Dodson & Horrell Rabbit Royale? If they are both pellets that is

Thanks :) Just getting some information before i get some rabbits & can't seem to find a diet sheet anywhere :(

I feed a mixture of hays :) I buy a farm bale, which i use for bedding, and then i order hay from the internet twice a month so they get different hays :) My buns all love the Burns green oat hay, and also the Oxbow western timothy hay :) I dont think theres any hay which is better as such, though i wouldnt feed anything thats brown and dusty :) It should smell sweet and be greeny :)

As for the pellets, ive never heard of either :oops::oops: Theres a link here...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=117174

If you type the name into the search bar at the top, you will find lots of threads about that type of food :) Most people on here feed either Science Selective, Excel or Allen and Page pellets.

Well done for doing the reasearch before getting bunny :) xXx

Meadow hay or timothy hay are fine for rabbits. Just as long as its fresh and not brown and not to dusty. You can get it from local farm shops or online.

http://www.feedem.co.uk/small-anima...ell-282/dodson-horrell-chudley-rabbit-219.htm

Is this the rabbit royale. I wouldn't advise using this as it is a mix so they will selective feed and only has 6% fibre which is very low.

Can't find any information on the pellets will get back to you that.

The person who you get the rabbit from should give you some food that they are on and you should gradually introduce any new foods.

Hi there.

Any hay is good for bunnies provided that it is fresh, not dusty, smells sweet/fresh and is not dried out/moldy.

As for Dodson and Horrell, I don't know anyone that has fed them so can't comment.

I can however recommend Supreme Science Selective, Allen and Page Natural, Oxbow Bunny Basics T or possibly Excel.

Just checked the dobson and horrell pellets and this is what it says.

Rabbit Pellets contain grass, wheatfeed, de-hulled soya bean, nutritionally improved straw, barley, wheat, molasses, limestone, salt and dicalcium phosphate. It’s nutritional content is: Protein 17.0%, Oil 2.5%, Fibre 14.0%, Ash 7.5%, Moisture < 14%.

Doesn't look too bad but I would personally prefer something like Science Selective or Allen & Page as the fibre content is higher.

As Above but dont feed too much Alfalfa hay all other hay is fine to feed daily :wave:
Oh and readigrass should be fed in small amounts as the high calcium content:)

I feed farm hay and Science Selective. I love SS pellets, I think they are the best pellets. I love the farm hay too, and very cheap too.

Back