• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pregnancy, babies, when to seperate??? *2nd Litter - need more advice*

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
I'm looking for some info to pass on to someone my OH knows, who's rabbit has had babies.
From what I can gather they have 2 rabbits who are still living together along with the 3 babies! The babies are little fluffballs (I've seen a pic of one) but are still tiny. Am I right in thinking that there's a good chance the mum could be pregnant again?
Obviously I'm going to try and get my OH to advise them that they need to seperate mum & dad now, and about neutering them both. He doesn't want to sound like he's telling them what to do though so I don't know how much info I can push their way.
The most important thing I want to know what age the babies are fertile at... so I can let them know when they need to seperate them!???

Last edited:
yep mummy bunny will be pregnant again. pregnancy is approx 4 weeks. babies can be taken from mum at 8 weeks and sexed by a vet :)

If mumy is pregnant again (most likely) then they will have to watch when she starts nesting again!
When Millie my bunny had babies she was pregnant again (didnt know thumps was a boy:roll:) and when she started nesting when the babies were 4 weeks old she would pull fur from the babies and i had to remove them from her. I put them in beside her everyday for a feed and at 6 weeks mum didnt let them feed anymore!

Also with another litter on the way they will need to up her intake of food so she has enough milk to feed 2 litters :wave:

Good luck telling them :D

I'm looking for some info to pass on to someone my OH knows, who's rabbit has had babies.
From what I can gather they have 2 rabbits who are still living together along with the 3 babies! The babies are little fluffballs (I've seen a pic of one) but are still tiny. Am I right in thinking that there's a good chance the mum could be pregnant again?
Obviously I'm going to try and get my OH to advise them that they need to seperate mum & dad now, and about neutering them both. He doesn't want to sound like he's telling them what to do though so I don't know how much info I can push their way.
The most important thing I want to know what age the babies are fertile at... so I can let them know when they need to seperate them!???

My rabbit had two litters close together (the dad escaped!), when the mum was really to 'drop' the second litter, she turned on the first litter - they were about 6 wks old. I dont know what the 'excuse' was the second time - maybe she just had enough - but the mum turned against the 2nd litter when they were about 6 wks old too. Just to be sure to tell them to keep an eye on the babies (and of course seperate the mum & dad!).

I was told to get the babies sexed at about 8 wks and seperate the boys from the girls. From speaking to a vet it is not likely for a girl to have babies before about 5 months *however* it is a chance so best to seperate them just in case.

hope that helps x x

I have been in a similiar situation with a mum who came in with babies, who had another litter when the youngsters were just over 4 weeks old.

I was only working part time at that stage. I separated the older babies from mum at night, in the day time I used to let the older babies out with mum and rigged up a board which stopped the older babies getting into the cage where the new borns were living. Mum also had access to the older babies hutch but could also easily jump the board to get into the hutch where the new borns were if she required.

I passed on the advice and mum and dad bunnies were seperated but as we all thought mum was pregnant again.

She's had the 2nd litter, and the owner is now after some more advice.
The 1st litter are now about 5 weeks old, the 2nd litter are starting to move about a little bit now and he's wondering if he can move the 1st litter into seperate accommodation yet?

Like I said I've never dealt with babies so I don't know what the right thing to do is. I'm thinking the older babies shouldn't be seperated from mum yet..??

5 weeks is probably JUST about ok to move them to another cage.Ideally if you can move them but still let mum feed them every now and then for another 2 weeks it would be good.it is difficult because you dont want mum to use all the milk the new ones need on the older ones.

I think male bunnies can be fertile from 10 weeks onwards, and can be neutered as soon as their plums are showing. Females need a bit longer to become fertile, so if they separate boys and girl at around 10 weeks, they should be on the save side.

5 weeks is probably JUST about ok to move them to another cage.Ideally if you can move them but still let mum feed them every now and then for another 2 weeks it would be good.it is difficult because you dont want mum to use all the milk the new ones need on the older ones.

How often would mum still need to feed the older ones?

I would think you would be able to seperate the 5 week old babies from mum, so she can concerntrate on the young babies.

Surely the 5 week old babies are eating the same food as mum now anyway? Not sure if they would still need milk, ive never had baby bunnies so cant help.

I would PM either Jacks - Jane or HappyPreso :)

Sending lots of luck xXx

Back