• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

metaclopromide....back from vet

Repeated doses may be needed, every 6-12 hours.
It should not be given to a bloated Rabbit or one with a suspected obstruction.

Repeated doses may be needed, every 6-12 hours.
It should not be given to a bloated Rabbit or one with a suspected obstruction.

Omg are u joking?! Ziggy is bloated and has reduced bowel sounds,he was given metaclop at about 2pm,also biolapis to syringe and critical care!

Omg are u joking?! Ziggy is bloated and has reduced bowel sounds,he was given metaclop at about 2pm,also biolapis to syringe and critical care!

When I say 'bloat' I mean the actual stomach (top mid abdomen). From what you have said it sounds as though your Vet feels the problem is in the bowel not the stomach ?

She just said he was quite bloated(gassy)...she said he had reduced bowel sounds but there were some formed poos ,she thought the metaclop would kick start him .

At the moment he is very quiet,I'm actually quite concerned,he doesnt want to move about at all ,there just seems to be no life in him....just to add hes only 10 weeks old .

She just said he was quite bloated...she said he had reduced bowel sounds but there were some formed poos ,she thought the metaclop would kick start him .

At the moment he is very quiet,I'm actually quite concerned,he doesnt want to move about at all ,there just seems to be no life in him....just to add hes only 10 weeks old .

Ah, thats a different story then.
Was he given subcutaneous fluids?
Is he on a heatpad?
When did he last eat/poo ?

ETA I think I recall reading that Metoclopromide may not be very effective in Baby Rabbits :? I will try to find out where I read that.

Last edited:
He wasnt given fluids,just the biolapis for me to syringe.

Ive been cuddling him to keep him warm ,his ears feel cold to me ..no poos that Ive seen today and he hasnt eaten anything by himself today but ate most of his dinner yesterday at about 10pm....hes taken some critical care.

He wasnt given fluids,just the biolapis for me to syringe.

Ive been cuddling him to keep him warm ,his ears feel cold to me ..no poos that Ive seen today and he hasnt eaten anything by himself today but ate most of his dinner yesterday at about 10pm....hes taken some critical care.

OK, well I'd get him onto a heatpad of some sort and also try to syringe him some cooled but still warm boiled water with the Bio-Lapis in.
Do you have any Infacol? A dose of that may help break up the gas.

do i need to take him back to the vet tonight?

Im working a night shift tonight so I'm not going to be able to syringe feed through th night....god im so worried.

do i need to take him back to the vet tonight?

Im working a night shift tonight so I'm not going to be able to syringe feed through th night....god im so worried.

If there is no-one who can take over the feeds/fluids and he remains anorexic then I would suggest getting him admitted to the Vets assuming they will be able to provide nursing care.

Well Ziggy is no better,the vet thinks he is almost presenting neurological symptoms,he seems weaker on the right side , hes staying overnight and having a drip,painkillers,more metaclopromide and being syringe fed.

*the vet is taking him home with her to look after him*

Oh no only just seen your thread - so hoping Ziggy will be ok, sending your special boy lots & lots of vibes & hugs for you xxx Will keep checking to see our your little fella is doing.

Poor Ziggy :cry:

I wonder if he has ingested a toxin :?

I really hope he will pull through

Goodness knows Jane but I'm so worried I just can't tell you.

I'm so grateful to my vet for taking him home to look after him,bless her....I just hope he gets through the night.

Back