• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do You Think Does Should be Routinely Kept in Hospital Overnight After a Spay??

Should Does be Kept in Overnight as a Matter of ROUTINE After a Spay?

• Yes-Please Give Your Reasons

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • No-Please Give Your Reasons

Votes: 39 67.2%

• Total voters

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
A simple question and Poll but please state your reasons for voting 'Yes' or 'No'

Ta Muchly :D

Last edited:
I always find these things hard to comment on, half of me wants to say yes as for the first 12 hours they are probably better off not being moved and staying in a constant temp and having easy access to veterinary treatment if it's needed. Part of me however says no, the best place for my bunny to be after a major op is at home with me where i can keep an eye on it, but i also know that my veterinary surgery is unattended after 9pm unless theres an emergancy on.

After the do we have just had with Annie I think yes but then I agree with Phill that the best place for a bun to be when recooperating is at home. Difficult one really. I think spaying is like a lottery at the min. When Annie and Abbie were done - Abbie sprang back straight away but Annie didn't. When I had my two girls done, Sally sprang back but Penny Pocket didn't :roll:

I think if I was given the choice and I had a bun that needed spaying I would feel comforatble with them staying in overnight for observation. So many things can and have gone wrong.

I think yes in most cases, especially if their op is carried out later in the day, but as a precautionary measure more than anything. It must be very stressful being operated on, whisked home then rushed back to the vets again for treatment (which will be given later than if the doe had just stayed at the vets) if anything goes wrong. That's just my views though:)

I can't give a yes or no answer..

On one hand yes, for people who are not experienced in nursing a rabbits after surgery as they may not realise what they ought to be looking out for.

No, personally I want mine home asap as I think being back in familiar surroundings helps recovery. It depends on how confident someone is about administering meds, feeds, fluids etc.

I think they should because then they have vet treatment on hand if something should go wrong, but like others have said they will be more comfortable at home where they feel safe!

I will hate the day when Fudge gets spayed and will want her home that night but i will trust my vet 100% if he says she should stay overnight!
It takes the pressure off the owner as the first 24hours are the worst.

I voted yes and then thought about it and I guess if the vets is unattended in the eve and thru the night then they're better off at home where at least you can keep checking on them!

My vet will not normally release a rabbit after any op unless it is eating and pooing first, but they do allow me to take my bunnies home as they know that i am able to care for them properly here :)

I voted no. After a spay my buns stay in my living room where I check them constantly & several times through the night. I also know their "normal" behaviour, so would spot something quicker than a stranger - if there was even one about at the vets??.

On a couple of occasions I've had bun at the vets first thing, but I would call the emergency vet overnight if need be.

In my opinion, if they have come round well from the operation then they are less stressed to be at home in their own environment.

Not generally.
I think most buns recover faster with their companions and familiar things and smells nearby. I also think a caring owner is often the best judge of how a bun is, and will probably keep a closer eye on the bun and offer the right foods to tempt the bun to eat, than a vet/nurse who may not take that much interest in the bun: just because they are kept in doesn't guarantee they will be monitored closely. Also some buns will simply refuse to eat at the vets and syringe feeding can cause further stress and harm.

Mine was kept in overnight and I was glad she was. After she had her abcess removed we took her home the same day and it was really stressfull for me and the bunny having to force feed her for days and keep holding her down to put her buster collar back on after everytime she pulled it off. By being kept in overnight after her spay the vets had to do the force feeding and by the time we got her home she was starting to eat little bits by herself. It was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I think the vets was the best place for her to be as she was in professional care.

I felt bad about her being in a strange place but the time we took her home and had to force feed her stressed her out anyway.

I'm in between a yes and a no. Honey bounced back really quickly after her op but she did pick her stitches out. I really think it depends on the bunny. If the bunny is not responding very well I think they should be kept in overnight. I think it is difficult for new rabbit owners to be aware of the signs when they need to take the bunny back. Sorry for my indecisive answer.

I voted no on the poll even though it was my preference to have my bun kept in overnight. I don't think it should be routine that doe's are kept in overnight. They should be kept in if bunny owner and vet feels it is best.

I voted no as vets vary and so do owners..so cannot give a blanket answer

I prefer our rabbits to come back to us..all my fosterers are capable of caring for a bun and know to ring emergencey vet if needed

However if an owner is new to rabbits and/or has very little knowledge or confidence then leaving in overnight with an experienced, reliable and trustworthy rabbit vet would be better

I voted 'yes' from my own experience.

I nursed my first bunny after a spay when I had only kept rabbits for 10 weeks and I think it's safe to say now that I wouldn't have had much clue at all :?.

The only other doe I have had spayed was Esme, she was kept in over night as a routine at the vets (Harcourt-Browns). At first I was very stressed at the idea she would have to stay there overnight BUT knowing how well they care for inpatients I would rather my bunnies were there getting first class treatment than me being 'not quite sure' at home.

For me the answer is down to how many rabbits the vet practice treats/how bunny savvy they are - if it's loads then they would be better there than with a not very experienced owner. If the owner is experienced and competent then the rabbit may be better off back at home (I'm sure savvy vet would sanction this anyway). The other issue for me is the distance I have to travel from the savvy vet - not appropriate for them to travel that distance (up to an hour) so soon after surgery so I'd rather they stayed in.

This is a tough one. On one hand, rabbits are much much happier back at home under familiar conditions and are more likely to feed normally. Many vet practices are not staffed overnight and how closely the rabbit will be monitored may be questionable whereas owners are likely to keep a close eye on the rabbit and contact the vet straight away with any concerns.
On the other hand, a properly staffed hospital is equipped to cope with any situation that arises at any time. If this was a human patient there is no way they would be discharged the same day, they would need more intesive care with continuing fluids, multimodal analgesia and regular blood pressure and wound checks.

Personally I aim to have rabbits home that evening. The operation is done first thing in the morning and rabbits discharged as late in the afternoon/evening as possible to give as much recovery time as possible. She is monitored constantly by myself and the nursing staff until awake enough to move around in a co-ordinated fashion. Then she is checked regularly (at least every 15mins) until behaving normally. Although we try to get them home the same day they are kept in if there are any concerns (obviously if not eating/pooing, but also if they seem uncomfortable, try to chew the wound or if the owner is not happy looking after them overnight). We are lucky as we have a vet and nurse on site overnight so there is no problem keeping bunnies in for monitoring but also there is always someone there to see the rabbit/talk to the owner if there are concerns. I still think that a calm, happy bunny will recover much faster than a stressed, albeit closely monitored, rabbit.

I'm also between yes and no. If the clinic is not staffed 24 hour then I think they should go home, but I can see a case for them being kept in if the clinic is staffed. although even that can vary - how noisy is the clinic, is there somewhere away from dogs in particular that the bun can recover, is it in a place where there is lots of disturbance, etc etc...

But personally I would want them at home - I think the companionship, quieter environment etc will help them to settle, and I know my buns better than anyone. That won't be the same for everybun though - some outdoor buns may be more distressed at being indoors overnight (especially if there are young children/dogs etc) as that would also be unfamiliar.

I also think sometimes that owners can do more harm than good by flapping around their poorly bun and trying to syringe feed etc too soon.

Of course a vet won't know about the home environment, whether the owner knows their bun well, how noisy/smelly/cold it would be for the bun, whether the owner would try and medicate etc etc...so if I were a vet, I think I would probably err on the side of keeping them in, unless I knew and trusted the owner well and unless the behaviour of the rabbit indicated that it would recover better at home.

So, in conclusion: it depends :lol:

I think it depends on alot of circumstances. ie. whether you have complete trust in your vet team, how busy they are, if they have overnight cover, and how experienced you are at dealing with post op care.

Personally I prefer mine to come home as soon as my vet is happy with their initial recovery.

If they have come round from GA successfully, the spey had no complications and they are being released after receiving painrelief & gut stimulant then no I don't.

About half of my male rabbits started eating before release following a neuter but only a handful of my does did, however many more would start to eat a few hours after arriving home. I have found this the case after other operations too and really believe a rabbit will make a better recovery in familiar surroundings.

If, of course, the rabbit is not eating within 24 hours post-spey then further veterinary intervention would be needed.

Back