• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The end of my tether - will it stop!!

Kellyrich

Warren Scout
Im begining to get really stressed out with Dexie at the moment, she is driving me mad!! She has started weeing and pooing absolutely everywhere, i let her out of her cage and there are about 30 poos in a few seconds then i will find a few puddles about!! This has started since we got Stan, although Barney doesnt do it! I know when rabbits see a new rabbit they can poo a lot but thought it would have stopped by now! I dont know how to get her stop she is making the house stink and its not even our own house and im scared the landlady might say something! Im just forever cleaning!! And eachg morning there is poo just stuck to the floor which i have to scrape off with a decorating scraper thing which then damages the floor which her and Barney have done overnight i think they must roll about in it until it sticks to the foor!! How can i get them to stop doing this overnight and to stop Dexie doing this all the time? Is there anything i can do before my landlady or my other half go mad!! Its driving me mad already!! And i cant get Stan to keep using his litter tray he just poos everywhere also but not as bad as these two, he is quite easy to clean up after!! Barney is good and uses his tray but overnight he is a nightmare when he must poo in his sleep!

Sorry for long post but its driving mad!! :evil:

I'm afraid sometimes when you have multiple rabbits in the same house it is something you have to get used to :(

I have two bonded pairs that are very good and the smell of the others doesn't seem to bother them. They occasionally leave an stray a stray poo lying around but I can deal with that. Milly however, will wee and poo everywhere if she is allowed to run around the house. She stays in the kitchen overnight and goes outside during the day, I kept her in over winter but she'll be going back outside soon. She isn't allowed to go anywhere else in the house because she stained my carpet! :(

Where do you house them all..

Oh god i cant be doing with this forever, im sure the landlady will chuck us out!! :shock:

Dexie and Barney are in the living room and Stan is in the kitchen. I cant put them together. She was like it when her and Barney first got together but it stopped after a couple of weeks but this just doesnt look like it is going to stop!

Does it make a difference is they are spayed or not? We got told she was when we got her but this is begining to make me wonder!! :cry:

Does Stan also exercise in the space that she is pooing? It sounds to me as if she is feeling the need to reassert the area as her territory every time she comes out, and this would be driven by his smell in that area. If this is the case, then I think it's very unlikely you will be able to stop it while they are not all together. She will have stopped previously when she recognised that this was a pairing and she had no need to keep trying to be dominant. This won't be the case if she is smelling another bun outside of their pairing.

Why can't you put them together?

Does Stan also exercise in the space that she is pooing? It sounds to me as if she is feeling the need to reassert the area as her territory every time she comes out, and this would be driven by his smell in that area. If this is the case, then I think it's very unlikely you will be able to stop it while they are not all together. She will have stopped previously when she recognised that this was a pairing and she had no need to keep trying to be dominant. This won't be the case if she is smelling another bun outside of their pairing.

Why can't you put them together?

yeah they do all go in the same area at separate times.

Cos Dexie goes mad whenever she sees him and tries to bite through the cage (turns into psycho bun from hell!) so darent risk it. I tried bonding my previous giant with them and they attacked him and as a result of that he is now at Rainbow Bridge so you can understand why i darent risk it, i just wish i could have them all out together and maybe put them to bed separately but im so scared about tryingn to get them together after what happened with Dave! :cry:

Behaviour through a cage isn't an accurate representation of how they react on neutral territory. Most female rabbits will attack a strange rabbit approaching their cage as they are defending their territory.

It's hard to advise without seeing your set up but I'd suggest a large tarp or roll of lino that you can put out over the area to protect the flooring.

It also sounds like looking at diet might help, squidgy poops stuck to the floor usually have that as the root cause.

Additional litter trays in the most used area, even if it means 3/4 trays may help. If they start using them you can then cut it down again.

Tam

Back