• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can buns eat mowed grass?

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.
Our lawns have been mowed, leaving lovely piles of mowed grass/daisys/dandelios etc.

Can I feed it to the buns? Its from a very clean area, no pesticides or dog poo etc.

Thank you!

From what ive read you cant because its starts to ferment too quickly or something. Dont take my word on it though i could be wrong :wave:

I wouldn't chance this. If I remember correctly, someone told me that someone's horse died due to some numptee emptying their clippings in the horse's field and the horse eating it. Not sure if it's the same for buns though.

Not a good idea i'm afraid. Mowed grass heats up and ferments with incredible speed, unfortunately, and will upset buns tums.
Long plucked grass is fine though: I give my 4 a bagful daily. Just remove any that doesn't get eaten every day :)

I wouldn't chance this. If I remember correctly, someone told me that someone's horse died due to some numptee emptying their clippings in the horse's field and the horse eating it. Not sure if it's the same for buns though.

That happened near us.

Andrea i wouldnt risk it :wave:

I pick mine...

I had to cut the grass the other day because I knew the neighbours would say something and I deliberately left a square of long grass :lol:

I can't believe how many dandelions have come back up in a few days, it's like a field of them and sure enough my neighbour just came over offering me his lawnmower (his way of telling me to cut my grass)... I told him I already have one thanks :)

I pick mine...

I had to cut the grass the other day because I knew the neighbours would say something and I deliberately left a square of long grass :lol:

I can't believe how many dandelions have come back up in a few days, it's like a field of them and sure enough my neighbour just came over offering me his lawnmower (his way of telling me to cut my grass)... I told him I already have one thanks :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeh the dandelions grow so quickly. We had one in our garden on monday when the grass was cut now we have about 7/8 and they popped out of knowhere :roll::lol: The buns are happy though :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeh the dandelions grow so quickly. We had one in our garden on monday when the grass was cut now we have about 7/8 and they popped out of knowhere :roll::lol: The buns are happy though :lol:

My garden is literally covered! I didn't have that many when the grass was long!

My neighbour will be itching to come and cut it, and I had joked to my other neighbour about how long it would take before he said anything... I keep expecting to wake up one morning and find that he's done it, because that's just the kind of thing he does :)

I don't think you can give them mown grass either, although again pulled up grass is okay. I'm trying to leave the dandelions in my garden to grow for my girls, but unbelieveably they won't grow much!:lol:

OK, neighbours think Im mad (my garden is paved so I have to go up to the woods).

Can cut grass be given like hay - as much as possible? They seem to love it!

Yes within reason - depends how much they are used to it, it can be quite rich especially at this time of year so don't go giving them heaps and heaps as it could result in an upset tum. Also make sure that you regularly remove any that remains uneaten, as it does start to ferment very quickly even if it's just been picked by hand :)

I give mine small handful of dried grass like hay in a second bowl for there food (so they had grass, pellets and hay) and they seem to eat it better than fresh grass. name of it is called Redi Grass I think but not sure on spelling.

U cud get one of those old mowers.
My friends dad still uses one to mow his lawns he dosnt want to waste his money on a new mower.Must take hours to mow his lawn.

Back