• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting and Digestion

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Apart from a high fibre diet, exercise, plenty of water, pineapple enzyme tablets.....is there anything else I can do to help a sluggish digestion and discomfort from this?

Poor Archie is really struggling with this moult. He has had a couple of gas attacks and tummy pains, which I've got him through ok, but I found the biggest lump of fur I've ever seen in a poo (won't go into details, but no wonder he has had trouble!!)

They get loads of hay, out on grass for a couple of hours most days, big pile of veg, small amount of Science Selective and Oxbow Pineapple Tablets. He doesn't have any other problems with digestion, well no other problems at all, except when he is in moult. The same thing happens every year.

Is there anything else I can possibly do?? I've looked about and one site has suggested feeding some Comfrey as a natural remedy? Has anyone tried this?

I used to give one of my long haired buns cat fur ball stuff (on the advice of my vet) Basically parafin, it used to help a great deal during a moult

Do you groom him twice a day?
Preventing him ingesting too much fur in the first place would be the best place to start :)

Yeh he gets groomed with a rubber mitt thingy every day, but no matter how long i brush for, theres always more falling out with the next stroke - it never ends...

Phil, do you know what the cat stuff was? I think i've looked at that before, but wasn't sure about getting it - kittymalt or something?

Yeh he gets groomed with a rubber mitt thingy every day, but no matter how long i brush for, theres always more falling out with the next stroke - it never ends...

Phil, do you know what the cat stuff was? I think i've looked at that before, but wasn't sure about getting it - kittymalt or something?

It was a simelar product to kittymalt but i got it from the vets, i can't remember for the life of me the name and i haven't had it for some time now.

this is the easiest and the most direct way:

1) get a bowl of water
2) Wet your hand
3) gently comb your hand on the bunny's fur so your hand grab the fur off the bun

The above helps the fur to shed their fur and get rid off the fur so they can't lick on them. This way, neither your bun or his companion will get fur in their body

I use this method and got easily 1/2 pound of fur out of my bun Bernie.

happy hopping thats a great way to do it...thumbs up!!

i think the cat stuff from the vets is called katalax? thats what my old cat used to have.

we went to pitchwell shopping site and purchased a pet vac..its not a vaccum cleaner..it attaches to your vaccum cleaner and the fur goes inthere rather than your vaccum cleaner. it also is so long the hose that you can shut the vaccum cleaner in a diff room or even outside and groom your bun with the shedidng tool..its amazing!! we have to do bertie and bif at least once a wek with it...if we had the choice wed do it everyday..but then plucking in between and damp hands of fur is enough to get by unless its a really heavy moult.

might be worth aksing the vets for some stuff this time.

Back