• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Accomodation quandry

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Right im not 100% on any of this. A couple of years ago i bought all new hutch and run combos for my lot and they have been great. When we moved last year it was all dead easy to move and the rabs were quite happy. With our new house we got a large lean too. I currently have the ederly/disabled/weird buns in here (4 pairs in total) 2 of the pairs can no longer use the ramps due to mobility issues so only have access to the runs which are 6ftx4ftx2ft. One pair only have a run as well as Sooty is a total whimp and will not use a ramp (we have tried everything) and then theres Max and Bootz, i have them in here as Bootz being a rex needs a softer floor than concrete and the shed i warmer, i then have 4 lots outside and one house bunny.

The lean too is 18ft (approx) x 9ft and i use 16ft x 8ft. We have the lease on our house for 3 years ( due for renewel September 2011) We get on very well with the estate management team and our landlord is quite happy with us, once our three years are up we are hoping to renew for another 3 years.
I'm sat at work (skiving cause i just can't be bothered after a certain person attitude) and thinking that i could probably create some pens inside the shed? So the buns wouldn't have a hutch and run combo anymore they would have a pen instead?
Now should i bother or just leave them as they are?

This is what we have currently
1511086.jpg

It is a quandry. :?

It seems a shame for some of the buns to not be able to use their hutches. I was wondering whether it was possible to modify the hutch/run combos so that the hutches were on the same level as the run, but I think you may run out of space.

Are the outside buns in the same type of set ups?

Could Max & Bootz live on grass outside? That would give you more space for the other 3 pairs to have ground level hutches?

(Skiving from doing boring work too as my brain hurts due to estate agents/solicitors being very confusing!:oops:)

It is a quandry. :?

Are the outside buns in the same type of set ups?

Could Max & Bootz live on grass outside? That would give you more space for the other 3 pairs to have ground level hutches?

(Skiving from doing boring work too as my brain hurts due to estate agents/solicitors being very confusing!:oops:)

Yes the other outside buns are in the same type of hutches although i have two giant hutches which arr 3ftx2ftx6ft with 6ft x6ft runs.

Max and Bootz don't do well outside, it gets a bit to cold up here for Bootz and she has pasturella in her chest so really she needs to stay in the shed.
If the shed were big enough i could put the hutches at ground level but it's not wide enough for it.

the rabbits with mobility issues is teis age related or athritus? we have had brillinat results with a new drug (not licensed for rabbits as per usual) cartrophen. which has improved chelsea(11yrs) no end! she can do ramps again now too tho still doesnt leap or jump her hopping is much better.

if its other reasons then i think i would put al the hutches onto floor level then use the existing runsto modify into pen'd areas around them with swinging or opening gates for you to walk in and out of so that no walkway floor space is used up in stead whole garage/shed area is bunnys. could you bond into one huge group and then free range with hutches on floor( probebly wishful thinking imhaving bonding issues myself at moment!!!!) alternativly could you put up a second shed outside which could house one pair in which case this would mean one pair going in there instead? x

the rabbits with mobility issues is teis age related or athritus? we have had brillinat results with a new drug (not licensed for rabbits as per usual) cartrophen. which has improved chelsea(11yrs) no end! she can do ramps again now too tho still doesnt leap or jump her hopping is much better.

if its other reasons then i think i would put al the hutches onto floor level then use the existing runsto modify into pen'd areas around them with swinging or opening gates for you to walk in and out of so that no walkway floor space is used up in stead whole garage/shed area is bunnys. could you bond into one huge group and then free range with hutches on floor( probebly wishful thinking imhaving bonding issues myself at moment!!!!) alternativly could you put up a second shed outside which could house one pair in which case this would mean one pair going in there instead? x

One of the buns with mobility issues is my 3 year old NZ white she has arthritis through her back legs, hips, spine and shoulders, she actually does ok with metacam as long as she is kept warm. The other is Pan and we think her problems are nerve related and she somedays can use her back legs other days she can't so she needs a one level environment. I did think about bonding into a huge group but Bootz would never accept another bunny and i think Ron (eva's partner and a very gentle elderly chap) would die of fright. I could try bonding Pan, Arthur, Eva and Ron, Ron and Arthur being very easy going boys and Pan and Eva being the two with mobility issues. hmmmm A shed outside isn't an option because of finances, i have enough materials at home to build pens so the cost is my time alone.

You could build pens, & gates to link them - so if you do bond you can just remove the gates. And any buns capable of using a two tier, could have one in their section for extra space.

My bunny rooms are similar - I have one long thin corridor with a pair in. One small room split down the centre, with a pair in each side. They have shelves each to add levels.

The biggest room, has a large L shaped section - this has dividers in the floor should I need to divide it into 3 small sections, but at the minute houses the group. There are 2 two tier hutches & a couple of shelves to add space, & the final square bit (contained within the L) is Calel & Treacle's home. They have a 5ft two tier aswell, & metal lined wooden partitions since Calel chewed a hole through to the group:lol:

Phill you would probably gain more space if you had just pens, Like what I am having for my giants in my garage. It would also be easier for you to clean out too. Then you have extra hutches for more buns;):lol::lol:

It looks like your runs are built from panels? I'd be tempted to count up the panels and space and see if you can split the runs into the individual panels and rearrange them into pens. Then if you want to change again down the line you can just reassemble them back into runs :)

Either than or take the back panel off the side/back three combos and drop the hutch down to the floor level behind the run (use the back panel as a lid where the hutch was). Then rebuild the run on the left to make it long and thin to fit the space. That would give each pair extra space the size of their hutch.

I have to say if it was me I would go with just pens & then use hooded litter trays to hide / slepp in or under bed storage boxes with other hidey hole areas. We've got all our bunnies in pens as opposed to hutches (they're all indoor bunnies at the moment) & they love the extra space / height it gives them :D

It looks like your runs are built from panels? I'd be tempted to count up the panels and space and see if you can split the runs into the individual panels and rearrange them into pens. Then if you want to change again down the line you can just reassemble them back into runs :)

Hmmm good idea Tamsin, In 3 runs in the shed i have 2 6ft panels and 2 4ft panels in each, In Sooty and Taras there are 5 4ft panels that doesn't include the lids. I have a partial Roll of chicken wire and some wood as well so could build some extra panels, i also have a huge supply of bricks. The shed has one huge door on it and i could easily build a second door.

Kay do not tempt me with more bunnies and it's your new garages fault im even thinking of changing the set up, it's just so brilliant in there!

It's way easier to clean too when they have pens- I can do 20 buns in an hour & a half, whch includes all litter trays/litter tray disinfect & sweeping floor:) It's the outside hutches that slow me down:)

It's way easier to clean too when they have pens- I can do 20 buns in an hour & a half, whch includes all litter trays/litter tray disinfect & sweeping floor:) It's the outside hutches that slow me down:)

Yep i'm thinking this too, but my main concern is giving the buns with mobility issues nough flat space. I am going to have another skivvey day and try and work out the best way to split up the Shed. I want to do it so that the hutch and run combo i have are still intact even if dismanteled and then should we ever move again i have accomodation.

ok on looking at sizes etc today i have figured that i can fit the following inside the shed;

2 x 4ft x 4.5ft pens with upward levels

4 x 6ft x 4.5ft pens which could have upward levels for mobile bunnies but would give enough floor and height space for the non mobile bunnies.

What do you think?

Back