• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice needed-getting worried

Dylan sometimes has the odd soft stool now and then but I have never worried too much. As he stops passing them as soon as he gets them. He has been passing large soft stools all morning, very smelly. He has also been munching on his hay all morning- he is a very good hay eater. Likes nothing better than fresh supply of hay. He is lively and seems happy as ever rubbing his chin on everything in sight and running around daft. He is fed on green excel and for veg this morning he was given small bit of carrot and broccolli. These stools are a worry to me though, keeping a close eye on him. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
How old is Dylan ?

How much Excel are you feeding? Excel can cause excess caecotrophs in some Rabbits.

Carrots have a high sugar content and are best only fed once or twice a week and in very small portions.

If the 'soft poo' is excess caecotrophs this usually indicates a diet too high in carbohydrates and protein. So I'd suggest cutting back on the Excel, maybe changing over to Science Selective instead, and only feeding a small amount of dark leafy greens rather than Carrot.

He is just one year old this month. He doesnt eat large quantities of the excel. Not even an egg cup a day. He eats so much hay it has never really worried me. He doesnt get carrot every day, but every 2nd day. I will cut this back. He is more a fan of Kale, brocolli and parsley. He gets small amount once in morning and about 10 at night (not all together!). Is this too much?

He is just one year old this month. He doesnt eat large quantities of the excel. Not even an egg cup a day. He eats so much hay it has never really worried me. He doesnt get carrot every day, but every 2nd day. I will cut this back. He is more a fan of Kale, brocolli and parsley. He gets small amount once in morning and about 10 at night (not all together!). Is this too much?

No, it doesn't sound too much.
I'd try changing him over to Science Selective pellets though as I have never had a Bun have a problem with them.
Also, try giving just one type of Veg a day to see if you can identify any particular Veg that sets things off.
Personally I think the Excel may be the problem, especially if he has them in the morning and the excess caecals are passed a few hours later and then the problem resolves as the day goes on.

Back