• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting sisters

Hi All :wave:
My daughters have two female rabbits (age around 2), they've always got on well together until about a week ago. I have had to try and seperate them as I was worried they would really hurt each other.
I have been told to get them spayed and that should stop the problem.
After reading through the forum I noticed that you have to bring them indoors after spaying until fully recovered unfortunately this is not an option. Could they be left outside until recovered or am I going to have to rehome one? :cry:

Thanks for reading

What housing are they kept in outside? If you have a shed or garage that they could be housed in until recovered this would be suitable, it doesn't have to be inside your house just as long as they are kept wamr and sheltered until they recover. Spaying is a major operation and takes time to heal and whilst the GA is wearing off animals annot control the body tempurature and tend to get evry cold.

I bought my girls into my kitchen after a spay. I put towels down and a cardboard box, cut into a house, so they could go and hide if they wanted too. They had a water bowl and two large cat litter trays filled with hay. These sisters are probably squabbling because they are hormonal. Please do not rehome one bunny and keep a solitary rabbit, it will not be fair on the bunnies.

How large is their outside accommodation and do they have an attached run.

The weather is warmer at the moment. But I would keep them inside after a spay to ensure that you notice if one stops eating. Also with wounds, you won't want to attract flies because of the risk of flystrike.

Hi
Thanks for your replies.
They are kept in a purpose built two storey hutch with part of the garden fenced off for them.
We do have a brick shed but it has no windows so its in complete darkness once the door is shut.
I wouldn't be able to bring them indoors due to a family member having chronic asthma and lung problems who is allergic to them. :cry:
How long does it take for the GA to wear off? and how long does it take till the wound is healed?

Thanks again for your help :)

Hi
Thanks for your replies.
They are kept in a purpose built two storey hutch with part of the garden fenced off for them.
We do have a brick shed but it has no windows so its in complete darkness once the door is shut.
I wouldn't be able to bring them indoors due to a family member having chronic asthma and lung problems who is allergic to them. :cry:
How long does it take for the GA to wear off? and how long does it take till the wound is healed?

Thanks again for your help :)

12 - 48 hours for GA recovery and about 10 days to recover from the operation, is there anyone who could look after them for you whilst they recover?

I recently had my two bunnies spayed and I kept them outdoors in their hutch while they recovered. They had a sheltered area, and I gave them plenty of hay to snuggle in, and a vet bed. My vet did not specifically recommend keeping them inside as long as they had a place to stay warm. and they both seemed normal and healthy as they recovered.

Good luck!

Back