• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jacks-Jane i need your advice!

sarahslc

Warren Scout
Hi Jane

I read in one of your previous posts that a bunny being treated for active EC should also have an NSAI such as metacam too. Ruby is currently having panacur for active EC but wasn't given metacam (her limbs have been affected by weakness) and we're about 18 days into treatment.
Should I be giving her Metacam too? I have a near on full bottle of dog metacam at home, if you were me would you just go ahead and administer it alongside the panacur or should I contact the vet? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I would definately advise speaking to your vet to get a correct dose for metacam. The EC spores damage cells which causes inflammation in them increasing the symptoms. By reducing the inflammation with metacam hopefully you will reduce the severity of the symptoms depending on how much permanent damage has been done :)

Thats a bit of a rubbish explanation but it's early for me :oops: But yes I would definately be giving Metacam at the same time

I cant advise you to administer a prescription only med to your Bunny as I am not a Vet :)

My Vet advises a NSAID be given throughout the treatment of 'active EC' to try to minimise longterm cell damage caused by the inflammatory response to the EC spores.

Last edited:
I would talk to your vet about it (in other words make him/her think it's their idea..)
Having said that my e.c bun wasn't given metacam when she became poorly but she did have a one-off shot of steroid when symptoms first appeared (very controversial nowadays). she made a complete recovery

You would really need to ask your vet as the dosage really does vary depending on what it is being used for and the severity of symptoms :)

I am going to ring him but its the locum and i don't think he's particularly rabbit savvy so I just wanted some clarification from you guys too. Some one else mentioned baytril for E.C too should i mention this? Sorry I'm pants at this stuff:oops::oops:

I am going to ring him but its the locum and i don't think he's particularly rabbit savvy so I just wanted some clarification from you guys too. Some one else mentioned baytril for E.C too should i mention this? Sorry I'm pants at this stuff:oops::oops:

Baytril is often prescribed to deal with any secondary bacterial infection or if Vet is uncertain as to whether symptoms are the result of EC or a middle ear infection. My Vet usually 'covers all bases' and would also prescribe Baytril.

Have just spoken to vet he's happy for me to give metacam at a rate of 0.25 of a ml daily. Thanks for all your help and advice everyone.

Back