• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

No pain meds after spay...

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
My darling little Bronwyn was just spayed and she wasn't given any metacam by the vets. When I got her home she was sleepy and stressed and seemed to be in a lot of pain. After a few hours since ariving back home she gave me a very hard nip, which is very unusual and she is tensed and shaking a bit. :(

Luckily I have a supply of metacam left over and gave her some tonight, but I am confused. I just assumed that they would give her some to go home with and just don't understand why they didn't. I'm also angry at myself for not notcing or asking about it when I picked her up... I was just so relieved she had made it through...

Am I crazy and over-reacting/worrying? Is it normal for buns who have had such extensive surgery to not have any pain relief?? :?

They usualy are given metacam by injection after the op but i am surprised at any vet not giving you this info or any drugs to carry on with pain relief afterwards :censored: . It really gets to me that they dont seem to think an animal feels pain :evil:

She should have been given an injection of Metacam after her spay which, depending on the dose given, should last for 12-24 hours.
I would consult your Vet before giving more Metacam as whilst of course you dont want Bun to be in pain you dont want to overdose her with Metacam either.
Hopefully she will be feeling more comfortable by now :)

i am surprised at any vet not giving you this info or any drugs to carry on with pain relief afterwards :censored: . It really gets to me that they dont seem to think an animal feels pain :evil:

My previous vet (haven't had a spay done at my current vet so don't know) never routinely gave further painkillers to take home - they were of the view that owners tended to give too much painkiller and this can do more harm than good after a spay - of course you don't want them in pain but if a bun can't feel that it is injured, it could do far more damage to the wound by overstretching etc. They preferred you to take the bun back for carefully controlled medication :)

I agree with the others though - chances are she was given an injected painkiller at the time of the op which is why you haven't been given any more. I would definitely consult your vet before giving any more, you need to know what she's already had and whether the metacam you have is compatible with that.

You should have given 3 days of metacam from the day after the operation

Not all vets do this. FHB gave Esme an injection of Metacam the day after the operation but she had no painkillers after that, most probably for the reasons Santa gave in her post.

Some vets prefer to see the bun the next day to re-check and give further pain relief. That gives them a chance to spot any complications, rather than relying on the owner to notice.

You should have given 3 days of metacam from the day after the operation

Not necessarily true. Not all vets do prescribe for 3 days if at all, after administering an injection.

I use various vets and they require bunnies to go back to get a post op check 2 days following the op and will prescribe again if necessary.

I agree also with Santa's post.:D

Last edited:
My Myrtle was just spayed last week - my first experience of it. She was given an injection after the op and nothing else. We nearly lost her in the night as her bowel was surpressed and they asked me to rush her back in the next morning where they gave her another pain killer and something to get her bowel going. They said if she had been eating and pooing as normal that the initial pain relief was enough for the reasons a previous poster gave (she would possibly overstretch herself etc) but unfortunately my girl's spay was not so straightforward. I am extremely impressed with my vet who have seen her every other day since at no extra cost and have now given her the all clear. I would take her back to the vet's rather than give her pain medication myself but that is just me. Hope bun feels better soon.

I cannot see how a single metacam dose is sufficient pain relief after a spay. Although routine this is a major operation and the damage to the tissue requires pain relief for several days. I routinely give 5 days pain relief and recheck them within this time (and at any point if things are not going 100% to plan). No vet or doctor would carry out the same procedure on a dog or human and leave them without pain relief.

You are far ahead from us in this domain, because in France, they hardly give pain killer after such an ops.. For my female, I didn't have any and she was unwell for 48h... sometimes they give antibiotics cover for cats and dogs.. I didnt have any either for my rabbit but she only had an ovariectomy, but still ..

Back