• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How clean is CLEAN?????

Marreline

Warren Scout
...in terms of bunny bums??!! We're all obviously increasingly conscious of flies about now and I'm making those daily checks but wanted to compare notes! Are we talking SPOTLESS!??! How often do you need to intervene and clean? And how to get to those difficult to reach parts?! (Lovely thread, I know...hope no-one's eating!!) I turn mine round and they bury their heads into my elbow/waist while I peer over the back but it's generally a quick feel and tug if things aren't great! Is it normal to find dried bits of poop...my bunnies are certainly not spotless but they are only gooey on occasion at which point I stop the veg for a bit and increase the hay and things usually improve pretty quickly. How does all this compare to your bun checks?:roll:

Mine keep themselves clean, no poop stuck or squidgyness.

If your finding they have it now and then it might be an idea to adjust the diet a little permanently. Perhaps cut back on dry food a little to increase hay intake.

Tam

At the mo I check Gwen every morning when I move her from hutch to run and then at night when I put her back. She's usually pretty much spotless. On the odd occasion she does have dried bits I've brushed them out, shes a long haired lionhead that loves to be brushed and the one time she was gooey I got my DH to hold her while I washed her with a bit of bunny shampoo and warm water.

Thanks for your reply. I currently give one egg cup of Excel morning and night. I know from previous threads that Excel can be a cause of dirty bottoms. Should I perhaps give less? Or swap altogether? I use the Lite variety at the mo. Hay can be an issue too - three bad bales in a row from the local farm shop sent me mad so now get bags from the pet shop which can be really good stuff one week and poorer quality the next. I always stock pile if the shop's on a good week! (They get cross!!!) :roll:

Okay, I'm beginning to realise I may have a problem! My buns are not spotless so going to have to address the issue. Next port of call vets for teeth do you think?:shock:

Guess it wouldnt hurt. When we got Gwen she was the Rabbit Muesli (sp?) type stuff but we switched her to science selective and hay and she been fine ever since. She doesnt really have fresh veg as she wont eat it , strange rabbit. Though she does get the pots of living herbs you can buy.

Wesley's spotless but Honey can have bits stuck sometimes. I have drastically reduced her pellets and I am swapping her over to the Science Selective as Wesley never has a problem.

I have been checking bunny from advice i have seen on here...he has no poo but a bit of wee on his bum, tail as it's started to grow and looks like a ball of fluff!!! does this need cleaning too??

Back