• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

After Operation advice

mrshorsy

Warren Scout
Evening Gys
Gwen is booked in for her spay next week and I'm just after some post op advice!
It seems common sense to me that Gwen , like any animal or human come to think of it, will need to be kept quiet and calm after her op and intially I'd thought I might bring her inside for a couple of days. But when I thought about it the house with a very active 3 and 5 year running round prob isnt very quiet!
So what I want to know is have any of you put your buns back into their hutches after an op?
Gwens hutch has a lino floor at the mo but I had thought I could get a piece of vet bed to make it soft.
Oh and on another website I'd read that you should take out straw and hay bedding so it doesnt get stuck to the wound.
Thanks

With my females after spays, i have brought them inside, couldnt you place her in your bedroom? Maybe tell the kids to hush hush because of bunny?

I place newspaper and some fleece down, put newspaper in the litter tray and hay in a rack. Big bowl of pellets, veggies, anything they love just to tempt them. Oh water in a bowl aswell as bottle :D

Sometimes i have also placed a snugglesafe in with them :wave:

It would be best to bring her indoors for the first night after the op as bunnies are unable to regulate their temperature for 24 hours following an anaesthetic. She will then need cage rest for at least a week :) Vet bed would make it more comfortable for her, just make sure she doen't chew it if you haven't used it before.

I have got a 48" dog crate in the garage would that be suitable? And would you wait till she'd had her post op check before returning her to her hutch and run?

Back