• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need some important advice

breeze

Mama Doe
hi ive taken my rabbit to the vets today and she told me that she has pasturella.she is on strong antibiotics and some eye drops due to her scratching her eyeball.now the vet said it is not at all contagious and another vet who is a superb rabbit savy vet has also told me the same.but when i look online it says different.what is the right answer?

It is contagious.
However, many/most buns can carry it and many of these will have no problems.
If you have bonded buns I wouldn't seperate them if one got pasturella, as the stress would do more harm than good and it would probably have been exposed anyway.
Hope this helps :)

Yes it is 'technically' contagious but most people now agree that it is only contagious to other predisposed individuals...but of course we don't know which buns those individuals are.

I have a chronic snuffly rabbit who has lived with her partner for 4 years and he has never so much as sneezed once. They lived in a foursome with another pair for a while too, and the other two are also fine.

Back