• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

the bun i'm about to adopt has pastrullea(sp?)

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
whats the inns and outs of this. he's been on 3 weeks worth of anitbotics and he may not be able to come to me this saturday and he may not be able to bond with petal for some time. it sounds serious. any info would be great :( very worried.

what antibiotics as he been on? Some rabbits can get a bad bout of it then it can clear up or they can continue to have it all their life and can live a perfectly normal happy life. I had a rabbit that had full blown pasturella and his partner never caught it off him and they were together 8yrs.

Many rabbits carry a strain of pasturella and never show any symptoms - I have Daisy living with me who is one of our long termers and she has very bad pasturella, is on regular injections, but Max, who she lives with is fine and never shown any symptoms. I also have Harry who has permanent snots, living within my group of 14 and none of the others have picked anything up from him and he is a proper sneezing snot thrower!! :mrgreen:

Pastuerlla is a parasite that lives within the nasel cavities of all rabbits, some rabbits never show symptoms of it. Penicillin is a good antibiotic to use but it would be worth the place where you are getting the rabbit from to get nasel swabs done to make sure it is pasturella and then there vets can match the antibiotic to the the cause.

Pasteurella- A bacteria in our nose, every bun has it. However if we get too stressed/upset this bacteria multiplies rapidly. Causing other problems such as 'snuffles'

Lexie has chronic Pasteurella and is on injectable abx for life. Her partner, despite being severely immuno-compromised himself, has never shown any signs of it as a respiratory illness and in general this is my experience when dealing with it. There is a theory that some rabbits are born with a predisposition towards symptomatically developing it and that this is probably linked to their personal immunity.

My other 'snuffle' bun has periodic bouts which come and go, he hasn't had one for about 5 months. His clear up with a course of oral Baytril, the recommended lenght of which should not be less than 6 weeks.

thats great thanks guys for the information. yeah he's very thin and underweight and he was neurtered there so maybe with everything he's very rundown. how much do the antibiotics cost, just so i know and can set money aside every month.

thats great thanks guys for the information. yeah he's very thin and underweight and he was neurtered there so maybe with everything he's very rundown. how much do the antibiotics cost, just so i know and can set money aside every month.

Bless him, I'm glad he's got a nice home with you to go to:wave:

thanks bunshine everyone keeps giving off i'm taking on a weakline but i know i can help bring him back to health and have a happy life. once he gets over those dose he'll not have anymore stressing to worry about. i just can't wait to have him home.

thanks bunshine everyone keeps giving off i'm taking on a weakline but i know i can help bring him back to health and have a happy life. once he gets over those dose he'll not have anymore stressing to worry about. i just can't wait to have him home.

Just m:thumb:ake sure you show us lots of pics when he's happy in his new pad

lol i will do, even if i can't bring him home on saturday i'm gonna call up and see him. he's is such a seety.
i only have this pic of him at the moment
ralph.jpg

:love::love:

He's gorgeous. I'm sure he'll make a lovely husbun for one of your girls. I see what you mean about him being skinny but I'm sure he wont stay that way once you get him home:) Does it depend on how well he is as to whether he can come home on Saturday?

Yeah as he'll have a 45 minute journey to do. aw thankyou he is very handsome and very sweet surprisingly after what he's been through with the kids. he's also very small so he must have lived in cramped conditions. poor little man, hope i can give him a better hope in life.

One of ours had a slight snuffles problem at the end of last year. He was put on a week of oral baytril and of bisolven powder which did the trick beautifully:D To be fair, he wasn't very snotty just a slightly damp nose & the occasional sneeze.

If he gets it again, I'm going to insist on a pro-biotic as well as we had a near miss with stasis (the vets had run out of pro-biotic, and I'm confused by the different types!).

Back