• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Travelling buns?

Rachie

Mama Doe
This is just an 'in theory' idea at the moment - just after some more advice and opinions

I'm off work for a while and I'd love to be able to go visit my mum and she's dying to meet the buns so the idea is I could take them with me. Just a few concerns:

1. Its a 3 hour drive to my mums house, would they be okay travelling for such a long period of time? I'm thinking of going to stay for 4 or 5 days so they'd have
2. My mum has a dog, the idea is to keep the buns in her conservatory, probably in a pen, would the buns get scared just by seeing the dog? She'd be locked out of the conservatory at all times but I'm just concerned that they'll get panicked by seeing her or hearing her cry or bark.

If its a horrible idea then I won't do it, the welfare of my babies are the most important :love:

I don't see a problem with the drive but we had a cat staying with us for a while a few months back while we had the buns inside and it really freaked them out as they could smell him but not see him. It all calmed down after we go them to meet each other (whilst holding onto all animals of course).

Only you know your rabbits.

Mine come with me to my parents, see the dog and are completely happy with it all! But then i have yet to find anything the rabbits are scared of except the hoover and SPIDERS!!

I don't think the travelling will be too much of a problem, I took my buns when I stayed with my sister. I guess you would have to see how they react to the dog, if he wasn't near them I would think they'd be ok?

mine are fine doing Oldham to Hartlepool (about a 2 hour drive),Charlie and Autumn take it in their stride, and flop out for most of the journey, whilst Sophie stood guard. Just make sure they have plenty hay and water, and maybe a mid drive snack for when you stop.

Alvin and Pearl travel a 6 hr journey up to scotland and cope with the new environment brilliantly :D

My bunny used to come with me when I drove the 280 miles to visit my parents for a week or so. I used to give her a bit of rescue remedy in her water bowl the day before up until we left & then put her in her carry cage with a load of hay, some celery and a bit of carrot (nice moist food for her to have a chomp on if she wanted it) and I used to put a towel over the carry cage to keep it dark (on hot sunny days I used a damp towel to keep it cooler). I had the cage strapped onto the passenger seat & kept the radio quiet so as not to stress her & stopped regularly to give her a stroke & offer some water. She travelled fine - as others had said you know best how well your bunny is likely to travel and whether it's worth it.

Ooh and check out with your Mum if her vet is good with bunnies - just in case! Make sure you take plenty of their regular food & hay, their usual bowls & litter trays etc if possible so they have less to adjust to whilst they're away.

My bunny used to come with me when I drove the 280 miles to visit my parents for a week or so. I used to give her a bit of rescue remedy in her water bowl the day before up until we left & then put her in her carry cage with a load of hay, some celery and a bit of carrot (nice moist food for her to have a chomp on if she wanted it) and I used to put a towel over the carry cage to keep it dark (on hot sunny days I used a damp towel to keep it cooler). I had the cage strapped onto the passenger seat & kept the radio quiet so as not to stress her & stopped regularly to give her a stroke & offer some water. She travelled fine - as others had said you know best how well your bunny is likely to travel and whether it's worth it.

Ooh and check out with your Mum if her vet is good with bunnies - just in case! Make sure you take plenty of their regular food & hay, their usual bowls & litter trays etc if possible so they have less to adjust to whilst they're away.

i always take my own tap water too, as well as everything listed above... i read ages ago different water from different areas can cause tummy upsets in buns

i always take my own tap water too, as well as everything listed above... i read ages ago different water from different areas can cause tummy upsets in buns

Oooo! Great idea! I would never have thought!

I bought a pen today from pets at home and gave them a trial run on the grass outside. I think they'll be fine free ranging in my mums conservatory but like I said, wouldn't want them nibbling her furniture so will take the pen for when I'm not with them/on an evening.

I'm just worried about the dog whining at them through the french doors but if it gets too much I guess I'll just curtail my stay and come back early :)

Just spoke to my other half about my plans to take them to my mums (he's away with work) and he got really upset with me about it. He thinks I shouldn't do it in case the rabbits and dog see each other :?

gah, now I don't know what to do again

Ive taken one of mine back (before I had beautiful ozzy :D ) and she was amazing. She travelled in her indoor cage (with nothing in but bedding and her) **her first indoor cage was embarrisingly small ill admit :oops: ** and seemed chilled the whole way. Shes a pretty nervy bunny but as soon as shes in her home she relaxes instantly, she knows its her "safe" place i suppose. So maybe take their normal stuff when travelling, dirty litter included maybe so it still smells of them :D

She met our dog but wasnt good, my dogs a yorkshire terrier and just wanted the kill :cry: but she stayed at my nans (who has no pets) so was fine. Also found my bun gave my nan and grandad a wonderful time, she got played with and handled loads (im pretty sure she had guests over just to see the bun) and when it was time for bed it took them 3 hours to catch her so both parties got good exercise! haha

She met our dog but wasnt good, my dogs a yorkshire terrier and just wanted the kill :cry:

Yeah, my mums dog is a staffie cross (she's a lovely dog, just a bit stupid). I think she'll probably be more curious than anything but a part of me thinks I'm being naive

I'm just wondering now - if I transport the pen in its box then I could use the box as a 'shield' so the dog can't see the buns and the buns can't see the dog?

Back