• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Milly sneezing...

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hey

Milly has only just started sneezing this morning. It's not really big ones, just tiny, baby ones. There's no discharge, and the hay is quite dusty, so I'm thinking it's just dust. It's only her that's sneezing, and it's been going on for about 5 hours now. It's not really frequent, but every so often (about every 10-15 minutes). What could it be? Could it be the dust?

Well it could be: try swapping to a dust free hay to see if it helps. It could also be a pollen allergy, infection such as pasteurella, something in the nose etc. Is there any discharge?
The biggest danger is that infections like pasteurella can quickly turn into pneumonia sometimes, so if it doesn't stop when you remove the hay a vet check is necessary

There is no discharge at all. I've looked really closely, and there is no discharge. She seems to have sneezing fits that last about 20 seconds every 15 minutes or so, not even when she is near hay. And she wipes her nose after her fit and is then ok (although there is nothing coming out). I'll keep an eye on her, if there's any discharge or the sneezing become worse, then I'll contact the vet.

'Dry' sneezes can happen when infection is setting into the lungs.
It can also occur with Dental problems and with heart problems

Personally if the sneezing is occuring as often as you describe I would want the Rabbit examined by a Vet.

I've just watched her sneezing, and there is definitely no discharge. Her paws are wet but it's cause she is licking them when she's wiping her nose. If it continues for another day, I'll have her looked at. Seriously, if one's not ill, it's the other one. :roll:

I've just watched her sneezing, and there is definitely no discharge. Her paws are wet but it's cause she is licking them when she's wiping her nose. If it continues for another day, I'll have her looked at. Seriously, if one's not ill, it's the other one. :roll:

Hope you get it sorted soon. Unfortunately that's the way when you have bunnies. That's why I have insurance.

I've looked in her nose. There seems to be nothing there. Although, it is a bit red but I'm not surprised that it is with the sneezing. It didn't seem to be sore though, as I could touch and press all round her nose, and she didn't flinch. If it doesn't go, then I'll take her to see the vet. It seems to be a irritition but I don't know to what yet. She does it in both her hutch (all hay) and her run (on grass and in the open).

Good news. She has stopped sneezing so whatever it was, seems to have gone. Of course, it could come back, so i'll still keep an eye on her. Unfortantely, Molly's hocks have suddenly got bad again, so looks like a trip to the vet anyway. :(

Strawberry has done the odd few sneezes these past few days. Never heard him do any before. Its just the odd one every now and again- might be because I have started letting them outside for an hour when I get home from work so the fresh air and plants etc might be doing it.

Back