• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ted's op today. Not gone well, help!

Estelle

Wise Old Thumper
Teds having an abscess removed today from under his chin. Lots of get well vibes are needed and keep your fingers crossed it goes well. It's only been 8 months since I lost Hobbes from an nasty abscess so I'm feeling particularly nervous this time :?

Last edited:
Poor Ted is in a right state :( The abscess was really bad, under his chin and right along his neck. The vet removed as much as possible but had to leave bits joining his eye and jugular vein. He has had his front teeth removed as one of the bottom ones was rotten. He really does look very poorly now :(

He is staying indoors tonight on his own, the vet said it was not a good idea for Phoebe to be with him as he's dosed up on heavy pain killers.

I found my old snugglesafe to keep him warm but can't remember how long you microwave them for. Have done it for 3 minutes but it only feels mildly warm, can anyone tell me how long they should be done for?

I have put a bowl of water in his cage and some shredded veg and mushy pellets. I've been looking after the baby since I got home with him so I don't know if he's eaten or drunk anything but it doesn't look like he has. Should I syringe water into him and food?

I don't want to stress him out anymore than I have to but also don't want to just leave him if it's going to make him worse.

Poor Ted :(

You heat the snugglesafe for 6 minutes in an 850w microwave.

Personally I wouldn't syringe feed him and leave in until tomorrow. I would also make sure he has adequate pain relief for a good few days!

Hi

So sorry he is in a bad way, I'm not sure what to suggest about food, my gut feeling would be to leave him until morning as with post spay. Can you call your vet and ask what they think and whether they gave him any metacam?

Sending loads get well soon wishes to him x

yes he's had metacam and also a stonger pain killer which she said was like morphine. She said to try and tempt him to eat but didn't say how long to give it before syringe feeding.

yes he's had metacam and also a stonger pain killer which she said was like morphine. She said to try and tempt him to eat but didn't say how long to give it before syringe feeding.

When mine have a dental I never start syringe feeding until 24 hours later. You need to give them time to perk up and I think syringe feeding actually slows recovery, he's going to be feeling very sore at the moment. My Teddy always takes a couple of days to start eating. You must make sure that he is given pain relief for the next few days, his injections will have worn off tomorrow, and it's imperative that you keep on top of his pain management to ensure he feels well enough to eat.

Sorry I did not see this thread Estelle.
Poor Ted :cry:

If he is very dopey I really would not attempt administering anything via syringe as he may aspirate it.
If you hold a bowl of water under his mouth he may voluntarily take a drink.
Hopefully the Vet gave him some subcutaneous fluids after the op' :?

By the sounds of it he may need syringe feeding for a day or two but I would not attempt it whilst he's sedated.
Just keep him warm and keep offering him a drink from a bowl. Some gratted carrot and apple mix might tempt him to eat.

Sending lots of vibes for him

xx

Oh poor little Ted. I am sorry that his absess is worse that originally expected. Sending lots and lots of vibes for the little man. xx

I bet he was the same painkiller they gave Claude when he was ill it does dope them up quite a bit so id just leave him quiet tonight,Im suprized you were told to seperate him though:? they usually respond quicker with company

Thanks, I've been so worried about him, i cried all the way home from the vets.

This is what he's had that is listed on the bill, don't know what all of them are :?

Anaesthetic, metacam, maxolon, baytril, vetergesic m/dose btl, antirobe caps, palacos R + gentamicin cement, vicryl W9130 :?

He is sitting upright and has hopped around but still looks very sleepy. He feels quite cold so I've put the snuggle safe in the microwave for another 2 minutes and put a heater in his room to warm him up.

I know they are normally better off with their partner but I don't think he'd be up to Phoebe fussing over him just yet. The vet said put them back together tomorrow morning and watch them to make sure they get on ok.

vetergesic is the strong pain killer
antirobe caps, palacos R + gentamicin cement, vicryl W9130 thats the antibioticbeads they have put in

vetergesic is the strong pain killer
antirobe caps, palacos R + gentamicin cement, vicryl W9130 thats the antibioticbeads they have put in

thanks, it was another very expensive bill. Added to the bill from the cat I have spent £660 at the vets. That's my holiday gone this year! :shock::shock::shock:

I know it was expensive when Alfie had his done:(

Its not so bad when they get better but the cat has not improved at all and looks thoroughly miserable and when I saw the state of Ted I wondered if it was fair to have put him through such a big procedure especially when they couldn't remove all of the abscess. I'm wondering if he'll ever get better :(

Back