• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccines....

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Is peanut okay to have his Myxi vac? I wasnt sure because of everything hes going through, i know some buns dont have it if they are poorly?

With everything i forgot and ive just realised al vaccs had to be done beginning of april!its okay as they are the 6 monthly ones so a couple of weeks should be okay, but they are going next thursday, but i just wondered about peanut?

best check with vet they check them anyway so if they dont feel its right he wont get it.
I know with the vhd one its very imporatant to be well even my bunny vet said she hates giving that one as you never know what will happen and it makes a lot of buns very ill.
Winston had a trip to vets once for jab (cant remember which) and when i got home I put his rearguard on:oops: He was real ill next day had to go back to vets as he was sneezing etc turned out he was very stressed too much to go through. He was fine after few days.

I'd be inclined to hold fire on the vhd vacc whilst he's busy fighting an infection - as winnies angel said they do need to be in good health for that one.

I'd discuss the myxi one with the vet to determine the greater risk - a lot depends on whether you're in a high risk area.

When Joey had had a bout of snuffles I withheld both of his as we are in a low risk area.

I'd be inclined to hold fire on the vhd vacc whilst he's busy fighting an infection - as winnies angel said they do need to be in good health for that one.

I'd discuss the myxi one with the vet to determine the greater risk - a lot depends on whether you're in a high risk area.

When Joey had had a bout of snuffles I withheld both of his as we are in a low risk area.
im high risk. hmmm, ill get mum to ask today shes taking him to the vet

Vaccinations should only be given to healthy animals. A good vet will not vaccinate an animal that is fighting an infection according the the guide lines by the vaccine manufacturer.

Vera

My vet will not immunise a rabbit who's immune system is already compromised, even for myxomatosis. Since PB is still fighting an infection I would personally wait. It's a tough one though, my vet wouldn't vaccinate Thumper at all last year because he was poorly for most of the year, and it was just another worry.

I think my Vet might consider Vaccinating a Bun with a chronic infection if the environmental risk of Myxi is high.
She would not Vaccinate against VHD though.

I have had to allow Mack's vaccines to lapse due to his condition, I didn't want anything else distracting his immune system from the task at hand.

I think my Vet might consider Vaccinating a Bun with a chronic infection if the environmental risk of Myxi is high.
She would not Vaccinate against VHD though.

his VHD isnt til october, so its just the myxi. I mean he IS being kept inside and i know there is still a risk but if shes not sure i could keep him inside until he is better i guess.

will find out what she said later :)

Back