• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit allergies and antihistamines - anyone got any references?

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
Well Santa has been at the vets all day and they say she has barely sneezed at all :? She's had a sort-of tear duct flush although they said that even with the smallest catheter they didn't get all the way through.

So because she's been so sneezy in the garden and fine in the clinic, we are now suspecting that at least some of her problem is due to allergy (we know she does also have tooth root problems and some infection, but it looks as if the allergy may be exacerbating everything).

Simone my vet has done some rummaging and has found information that suggests that you can give some antihistamines to bunnies, but she hasn't been able to find a reliable source that gives any dosages.

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone know of any journals/articles etc which have this info? I've had a look in the FHB book and can't find anything, but I can't find my Flecknell book to see if there is anything in there - if anyone has it (or any other bunny med books) could you please do me a favour and have a look to see if you can find anything suitable?

I know there was a bit of a discussion the other day but it would also be interesting to hear any more experiences with antihistamines in bunnies - although sensibly my vet is really looking for some kind of published info on dosages rather than me just saying "someone from the internet said that their vet said..." if you see what I mean :)

Thanks in advance :)

All very interesting and I hope it helps Santa. Definitely sounds like it was worth the trip to the vets today.

Can I ask which antihistamines were mentioned (ie active ingredients), or didn't the discussion get that far?

Can I ask which antihistamines were mentioned (ie active ingredients), or didn't the discussion get that far?

No the discussion didn't get that far - but I'm encouraged that my vet has taken the time to do some research and be prepared to consider it, even if we haven't got to any real conclusions yet! I'll be sure to let you know if/when we get any further!

Definitely a start anyway. :) I guess all I was thinking was that there are so many different antihistamines about, and that I don't really know what the differences are (other than that some are non-drowsy, some seem to affect muscle function more etc, ie from a human perspective!).

I'm also very interested to explore this avenue with one of my guinea pigs, but I don't know if I'll ever manage to find anything out in that regard!

Is Santa sneezing this evening, and have you noticed any times of day when she is worse? Hayfever is supposedly worse early morning and during the evening, and that does fit with mine (and my hayfevery guinea pig).

Is Santa sneezing this evening, and have you noticed any times of day when she is worse? Hayfever is supposedly worse early morning and during the evening, and that does fit with mine (and my hayfevery guinea pig).

I haven't really noticed Santa sneezing since I've been home - but she's back outdoors and I'm indoors now so I wouldn't necessarily know at this moment in time. To be honest when she's sneezy she's sneezy all day - but it does vary a lot from day to day so maybe she's just sensitized to the overall pollen floating around - I'll have to pay more attention to whether it's windy (and hence blowing off the trees etc).

I have just read that you can give rabbits antihistamines such as meclizine.this was used in conjunction with other drugs for the treatment of Vestibulitist

I haven't really noticed Santa sneezing since I've been home - but she's back outdoors and I'm indoors now so I wouldn't necessarily know at this moment in time. To be honest when she's sneezy she's sneezy all day - but it does vary a lot from day to day so maybe she's just sensitized to the overall pollen floating around - I'll have to pay more attention to whether it's windy (and hence blowing off the trees etc).

With my guinea pig, it's most noticeable first thing in the morning on bad days, ie when I go to feed her. When I finally figured it out last year I couldn't believe I'd never thought it before, as all the signs were there.

I was just thinking, it's good that you see Simone with all this sort of thing, as the other vet that I've seen looked at me like I was absolutely insane when I said that Sukie suffered from hayfever (and hence needed some more Bisolvon)! I think she took it literally as me meaning she was allergic to her hay or something. :lol:

I have just read that you can give rabbits antihistamines such as meclizine.this was used in conjunction with other drugs for the treatment of Vestibulitist

Where did you read that?

I haven't even heard of that antihistamine - there must be so many. :?

Thanks Maizey :) Was it a published article - is there a reference you can give me for it so I can tell my vet? Or is it something you could email to me? Did it give any dosages?

I've googled that antihistamine and it looks as if it is most similar to the active ingredient in the US version of Benadryl. I wonder if searching on vestibular disease rather than allergies might throw up more results then :? :)

Hi Santa,here is the article but it doesnt give a dosage.
In: NAVC Proceedings 2007, North American Veterinary Conference (Eds). Publisher: NAVC (www.tnavc.org). Internet Publisher: International Veterinary Information Service, Ithaca NY (www.ivis.org), Last updated: 13-Jan-2007.

Vestibulitis: The Rolling Rabbit
K.L. Rosenthal

School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA.

Why do rabbits roll? They roll because there is a dysfunction in the rabbit’s system that controls coordinated head and body movements. The rabbit is no longer able to detect linear acceleration and rotational movements of the head. It is no longer able to control the muscles that are involved in equilibrium and position. Disease that causes rolling will affect the vestibular system. The vestibular system is organized into a peripheral vestibular system and a central vestibular system. Peripheral includes the middle/inner ear and central includes areas of the cerebellum.

THE PRESENTATION
Rabbits frequently develop neurologic disease that causes panic in owners. These rabbits are brought to your hospital or an emergency hospital for immediate evaluation and care. There is no typical signalment. All ages and intact or neutered rabbits can present for rolling. This can be seen in young rabbits or those that are geriatric that have no known health problems. What owners usually see is a rabbit that is normal, with no predisposing problems, that starts rolling. Rabbits are said to be "rolling." What this means is that the rabbit has lost its ability to balance. This is usually due to disease affecting the inner or middle ear and/or the vestibular nerve. The rabbit placed in sternal recumbency falls to one side or the other, never able to keep itself upright. Sometimes, this rolling can be violent leading to secondary injuries, although, this is less common. The most common secondary injuries include corneal abrasions and superficial skin wounds.

IMMEDIATE CARE AND EVALUATION
The first response is to stop the rolling. Unfortunately, nothing you can do will stop the rolling short of sedation or anesthesia. If the owner calls before they come in, recommend they place the rabbit in a small cage that is padded with towels. There should be no exposed metal or sharp edges. This same is true for in-hospital caging. It may not be possible to do a physical examination on this rabbit without at least one person holding the rabbit. Even then, rabbits that are "rolling" are difficult to hold for an examination. It may be impossible to perform venipuncture. A rabbit may become more "anxious" as it is held while it is unbalanced. A thorough physical examination is necessary but may not be possible. The following are essential things that should be checked. Look in both ears and check for any obvious otitis externa. It is uncommon for externa to be the cause of or associated with otitis media/interna. An ocular examination should ensure that the cornea is not punctured and, if possible, the eye should be stained if there is any chance for damage to the cornea. It is important for lesion localization to assess for nystagmus including direction. Heart and lungs should be assessed. If possible, check incisors to make sure that the teeth have not been broken. Again, if possible, check for postural deficits. In reality, there may be few vital signs to assess unless you have skilled technical help holding the rabbit. One great caution is that a rabbit that is trying to roll can twist in a towel and also kick its legs in a towel leading to vertebral fracture. This is another reason, without proper help, to limit an initial examination.

Obtaining a complete blood count and a biochemistry profile and a urine sample may not lead to the disease diagnosis but it can rule out other systemic or secondary problems. In most cases, without skilled technical help, these may be impossible to obtain. There are some who recommend putting these rabbits under anesthesia using isoflurane and placing a mask on the face. If this is not possible due to rolling, they place the rabbit in a small tank outfitted for anesthesia induction. Anesthetizing a "rolling" rabbit should not be considered lightly as risk of causing further problems while the rabbit is induced or even death is possible. If this is attempted, it is then possible to perform venipuncture and a partial physical examination. When the rabbit wakes up from anesthesia, all attempts should be made to keep the recovery area safe for the rabbit. The recovering rabbit should be treated just as the rabbit that is not put under anesthesia. It should be placed in a small cage where it can roll. All areas of the cage should be padded. No sharp areas or metal areas should be in the cage. Easy access by personnel including the ability to watch the rabbit are important. It is also important that the rabbit not be kept in an environment that is very unfamiliar and harsh. Therefore, constant lights, as might be present in an emergency room or ICU should be lessened. Unfamiliar noises from dogs and cats should be filtered out. Make sure a weight is always obtained at admission.

ACUTE CARE
Once the rabbit is in a cage, acute care can begin. It is important to note the essentials for this rabbit. It will need fluid and nutrition. Those are essentials or the rabbit may die from dehydration or become sick from secondary hepatic lipidosis. Ideally place an intravenous or intraosseus catheter. Unfortunately, it is difficult to place an these catheters in a rolling rabbit and just as difficult to keep them in place. Therefore, subcutaneous fluid boluses are substituted for intravenous fluids. Use a balanced salt solution. It is not recommended to use dextrose in the subcutaneous fluids as that appears to sting. Since it may be difficult to hold the rabbit for extended periods, many small boluses during the day may be easier to accomplish than two or three larger ones. Nutrition is more difficult to administer to these rabbits. Offer food and water in the cage as some rabbits will stop rolling soon after the episode starts. If the rabbit needs supplemental alimentation, syringe feeding with liquid products is easiest at this time. It is unlikely that the caloric needs of this rabbit will be met with syringe feeding but acute care should only last one to three days.

Other considerations would include treatment for the cause of rolling and treatment to stop the rolling. It is unlikely during the acute period that the cause of rolling will be determined. Even if the CBC and biochemistry results are known, it is unlikely those diagnostic tests will determine the cause. It is assumed in many cases that a bacterial infection in the middle or inner ear or of CN 8 is responsible for this disorder. Therefore, coverage with antibiotics is warranted. It is best to use broad spectrum coverage: antibiotics that are effective against gram positives, gram negatives, and anaerobes. A combination such as injectable penicillin and a quinolone has much merit. So does the use of a trimethoprin sulfa antibiotic along with metronidazole. The use of antihistamines, such as meclizine, has been advocated. It is not known if this is effective in rabbits with this disorder but side effects appear to be minimal. Finally, it may be necessary to use ophthalmic medication. If there is corneal disruption, medication will be needed to treat that wound. Even if the cornea is intact, usually, these rabbits are left with a head tilt and it may be important to keep that eye moist.

CHRONIC CARE
Many of these rabbits stop rolling without any care from us. Most rabbits stop rolling within one to three days. Chronic care depends on the extent of disease left over from the rolling and if the cause of rolling was determined. Most rabbits have a residual head tilt, sometimes severe. Very few of these rabbits cannot eat after a rolling episode so continued supportive nutrition is usually not necessary. Once the rabbit is no longer rolling, further diagnostics can be attempted. Skull radiographs may help identify gross bulla lesions, but more sensitive imaging techniques such as a CT or MRI of the skull are necessary for a thorough diagnostic.

This manuscript is reproduced in the IVIS website with the permission of the NAVC http://www.tnavc.org
All rights reserved. This document is available on-line at www.ivis.org.

I found the dosage figures

In The 5 minute Veterinary Consult: Ferret and Rabbits by Barbara Oglesbee, 2006 Edition, there are 7 ref. to Anti-histamines, ea. ref. is meant to treat a different sickness:

1) for fleas (ferret)
2) for influenza-assoc. nasal discharge (ferret)
3) for pododermatitis and nail bed disorder (ferret)
4) for nasal discharge
5) for pruritus
6) for rhinitis and sinusitis
7) for sarcoptic mange (ferret)

I'll list No. 4, and 6, but if you need the others, just let me know:

4) For nasal discharge and sneezing, under Drug(s) of choice

Anti-histamines have been used in rabbits w/ allergic rhinitis & symptomatically in rabbits w/ infectious rhinitis. Use is anecdotal and dosages have been extrapolated from feline dosages: hydroxyzine (2 mg/KG PO q8-12h) or diphenhydramine (2 mg/KG PO, SC q8-12 h)

6) For Rhinitis and Sinusitis, under Alternative Drugs:

Anti-histamines have been used in rabbits w/ suspected allergic rhinitis & symptomatically in rabbits w/ infectious rhinitis. Use is anecdotal and dosages have been extrapolated from feline dosages: hydroxyzine (2 mg/KG PO q8-12h) or diphenhydramine (2 mg/KG PO, SC q8-12 h)

As you can see, the 2 paragraph are virtually identical.

Out of interest, as you probably know

PO = Per os
SC = Subcutaneous

During a sleepless night I got to thinking about Santa's nose.....as you do !!
In the short term how about trying the 'old fashioned' hayfever remedy of smearing a wee bit of vaseline in and around her nostrils. It is meant to 'catch' the pollen before it goes into the nasal passages and irritates the mucus membranes.
I guess it might be too stressy for Santa to have that done a couple of times a day but just thought I'd mention it :)

During a sleepless night I got to thinking about Santa's nose.....as you do !!
In the short term how about trying the 'old fashioned' hayfever remedy of smearing a wee bit of vaseline in and around her nostrils. It is meant to 'catch' the pollen before it goes into the nasal passages and irritates the mucus membranes.
I guess it might be too stressy for Santa to have that done a couple of times a day but just thought I'd mention it :)

Funny you should mention that, as I've often wanted to try this with my guinea pig too. Obviously they tend to be less 'stressy' than bunnies when medicating them, but my worry is always whether I'll end up putting too much vaseline on and making her congestion worse. At least with a human, you clear out the vaseline by blowing it out - with a rabbit or guinea pig you only add to it. :?

So, I do think it would probably help if only we could get it exactly right...

It sounds to me that the type of antihistamine used for vestibulitis isn't the type used for allergies/rhinitis. :? The ones mentioned in Jason's post sound promising, and again, I've never heard of them, so they aren't in the standard hayfever remedies for humans unless they have other names (standard hayfever antihistamines appear to be Acravastine, Loratadine, Cetirizine, Chlorphenamine - there may be others, but these are the ones I have come across).

Funny you should mention that, as I've often wanted to try this with my guinea pig too. Obviously they tend to be less 'stressy' than bunnies when medicating them, but my worry is always whether I'll end up putting too much vaseline on and making her congestion worse. At least with a human, you clear out the vaseline by blowing it out - with a rabbit or guinea pig you only add to it. :?

So, I do think it would probably help if only we could get it exactly right...

Yes, you'd certainly only need a tiny amount.
Even just applying it around the nostrils might stop some pollen in its tracks :?

I am just really nervy about using antihistimines on a Rabbit due to what happened with the Girlie Boblets :cry:
But I may just be being over cautious :?

I am just really nervy about using antihistimines on a Rabbit due to what happened with the Girlie Boblets :cry:

Absolutely Jane me too - I have definitely got a big question mark particularly over cetirizine for that reason, but it does seem that the US benadryl which isn't cetirizine is more widely used (including in vestibular disease), but if Santa is starting to suffer I don't see that I've got a lot to lose :?

I guess lumping 'antihistamines' together as a category is a bit like lumping 'antibiotics', there's probably a huge variation in safety etc between them. :?

I'll give a tiny bit of vaseline a go and see if that helps, I'm not sure if I'll be very successful though because she has such a teeny nose I think I'll struggle to get a good enough 'coverage' without blocking her up. Got to be worth a try though!

Thanks for the link/info, Maizey - I wonder if this is one of the articles that my vet found, she did say that she found references to their use, but not to dosages and of course it's not a lot of use knowing that you can use something if you don't know how much to use!

Last edited:
hi, sorry to jump on this thread as a relative newcomer but i've been trawling the net too for something in the uk that has the same active ingredient as us benadryl to try to help sneezy eric (he never sneezes whilst seeing vet either:oops:) but when he starts, its constant! i'm slowly ruling out any allergy causing house and cage things but first thing in a morning he'll sneeze til he falls backwards. same late evening too but he does have bouts of sneezing throughout the day.

seems that in the uk tho, Diphenhydramine is used to help remedy sleepless nights as well as an anti-histamine (i've never taken this partic one and seem to have tried countless hayfever remedies myself over the years) but apart from us sites and info which seem to recommend us benadryl to help buns, i can't seem to find anything uk based :?

still googling tho so if i find any good links i'll add them for you guys to see.

x

Just bumping this thread to see if Santa has had any developments.

I was reading yesterday about quercetin (bioflavanoid) for human hayfever, which prevents the production of histamine in the body. No idea if it is safe for animals of course!!

Back