• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

neuter?

Bunnyx

Warren Scout
I was just wondering as Pepsi is going to be neutered soon wether I would be able to have Cookie done aswell on the same day..
But is Cookie too young? Hes just over 17 weeks now which is 4 months and a bit :lol: Can it only be done from 5 months? Do you think it would be better if I got them both done at the same time, as also when they have both healed I will be trying to bond them! :D x

It's probably easier to get them done at the same time but you can only get boys done once their testicles have developed, so if you can see them he is ready to be done. If not you'll have to leave him a while :)

Should be fine then :) Most boys are do-able from about 12-14 weeks, as soon as their 'bits' drop :)

:? Ive just read that it is more risky for a younger rabbit to go under anesthetic is this true? sorry for all the questions just have a fear of losing my buns while thier under!

If you've found that as an article I should think they are thinking 2-6 weeks as 'young', not 4-5 months :) From an anaesthetic point of view I would be happier putting a 4-5 month old under anaesthetic than a 4-5 year old - although to be honest I'm happy with that too! Rescues neuter hundreds of bunnies of 12 weeks old every year and it's rare that they have a problem :)

Anaesthetics are really very safe nowadays, a rabbit castration is a very quick operation and anaesthetic complications are really very uncommon - and usually related to a pre-existing condition that was not known at the time of the anaesthetic.

I agree with santa......the "young" bit generally applies to buns under about 8 weeks of age. Our vet will neuter when our buns reach 1 kg which is genrally about 10-12 weeks. Obviously you still have to wait for the boys if they are being a bit slow :) Most vets wouldn't quibble over a couple of weeks if he's already dropped.

My little Kendra had an anesthetic at 7 weeks cos of an uinjury & she was fine:D She did have to be a certain weight for her spay though & ended up waiting til she was 18 mnths:D

Winslow had his bits done when he was 17 weeks. Until the day of the op (right up until he was knocked out and shaved) they hadn't decided whether he was male or female. Turned out that he had a pair of gnats nuts which they dealt with in the appropriate way and he was fine and home in a couple of hours.

She did have to be a certain weight for her spay though & ended up waiting til she was 18 mnths

I think it is different for females. My vet wants my little mini rex to be a certain weight and of had a season as it makes things easier to find. But with my little lionhead he was done as soon as everything was there.

I think it is different for females. My vet wants my little mini rex to be a certain weight and of had a season as it makes things easier to find.

Your vet will be waiting a long time because rabbits don't have seasons!

Most vets will spay a female at 5-6 months. Any earlier than this and the op can be a bit fiddly because everything is so small, and any later than 10+ months it is more fiddly because mature rabbits lay down fat around the organs so it's a bit trickier to get out.

Thanks everyone I think im going to have Pepsi done first hes 12 months now and then have Cookie done Im not too sure about having them both done at the same time that will be double the worry also I already know all of Pepsis favourite foods and he doesnt get stressed at the vets whereas Cookie is a bit of a fussy eater at the mo so that would be heard when he comes round and he isnt as confident at the vets yet I lost one bunny due to anesthetic last year (at a different vets) im really taking precautions as I cant go through that again I still feel guilty to this day as if I hadnt of wanted to have her spayed she would still be here :( but Pepsi has to be done his sparying is getting out of control now all his hutch walls are white now from where he keeps doing it!:? My current vets said they use ketamine-diazepam as the sedative then they use isofulrane gas through out the op is this ok?
I read that isofulrane is one of the safest ones for rabbits but im not sure of the ketamine-diazepam.... anyone know? Sorry I keep worrying!! Can someone just click thier fingers for me and then my buns will just be neutered :lol:

Back