• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

amputation of toe!

sam and nala

Alpha Buck
early hours of this morning i realised nala had a bloody back foot and when i took a closer look she had lost the fur off her toe she wouldnt let me look she was hopping round ok and didnt seem to be in anypain when pottering about and so i put some sudicrem on it and left her to it untill i could get her to the vets.

so 8.30am came and i took her to the vets only to find once she had been restreined that she had managed to take all skin off her middle toe and was only left with bone!! the toe was broken and the nail was in a hurrendose state. this could have only been caused by her catching it in the rabbit run whilst having a mad half hour. however when checking the run i dont think its sharp enough to do so.

the vets have kept her in she is going under anistetic and has to have toe removed!! it is the biggest toe on her back foot will she be able to hop ok after this??

has anyone else had a buns toe removed before?

has anyone ex[pirianced a rabbit maybe doing this to its self as i can find no blood or skin on the run to suggest she has had a struggle?

im so worried please reply if you have had any expiriance like this one

toes is tricky. If you don't cut it, the healing chance is 50-50. If it get worse, like your case, your vet is right, cut it off is a great idea or else the infection can continue to move towards the body.

Healing is no biggie. Don't get too caught up with it. Big hugs to your bun:wave:

thanks all, she has came home and is eating like a pig despite being under anistetic haha no change there then lol

shes a bit wobbly but im sure in a few days she will be fine :D

Back