• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is wrong?

Amy104

Warren Veteran
My new little addition is currently a house bun until such a time that he can be neutered and bonded. As a result he is recieving a lot of extra interaction and is very friendly. As the weather was nice I put him in the outdoor run for a bit. When I went to get him he started bolting around as if he was terrified. I thought maybe a cat had unnerved him so yesterday when I tried again to give him a bit of fresh air I kept close eye. No cats at all but when I went to get him the same thing happened only worse. He screamed. I have never had a rabbit do this and it really upset me. I don't think I did anything wrong, I didn't grab him funny or anything. Once I had him rested on my chest talking to him softly he calmed instantly. He is normally running to the cage front to great me, why does he behave like this outside. Could the new surroundings be bothering him.

The running around could have been him playing excited as you had joined him outside, or you made him jump and he got a bit freaked out.

I am always talking to buns as I go into rooms, into their wendy house etc yet sometimes they are in a world of their own and I make them jump!

The screaming was a very scared rabbit or one in great pain. He may have compared you getting him - to a predator catching him... even though you did nothing wrong in handling him... but maybe you could get him checked by the vet incase he found the handling painful for a medical reason?

If he didn't expect it you to catch him, this could also be why he screamed.

Was he a pet shop or a rescue bun.. just asking as you cannot be sure of either's history really and he may have had a bad experience in the past which led him to behave like this.

Could you try popping a carrycase with some veg, into the run and waiting for him to go in, then taking him back in the house. He may prefer this way of being "caught".

Hope he's ok now :wave:

Thanks.

He has never had a problem with me indoors.

I always go down to their level and talk to them so I don't think I caught him by surprise.

I'm wondering if the new surrounding unsettled him.

Back