• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excel forage - has it changed?

TeddyPatches

Warren Scout
I bought 3 bags of excel forage for Teddy as it was on offer but it all seems to be tiny little pieces of hay/grass stuff rather than the big long bits it used to be, have I just got some bad bags or is this how it is now? If it is i'm going to have to find something else to give him as the shredded bits just fall out of the hayball!

It's awful stuff now! Gone are they days of green lengths of hay.. just brown crumbly dust now!

I ended up getting the scratch & newton herbal hay.. expensive but worth it in the long run.. I'm not sure how effective the new crumbly version of Excel is for tooth wearing and good digestion.

A lot of other hays are the same. I guess they still have a shortage of good quality hay. I try and check the bags before I buy them but you still end up with stuff that is short and dusty.

I had a dodgy bag like that last Summer. It's horrible stuff. :evil: I sorted through all the bags at Pets at Home last week to find the normal stuff.

Me too - I ransacked the whole shelf.. but there wasn't any normal stuff... every brand of hay there (except the S&N herbal £3.99 for a small bag) was brown and dusty cr*p. :roll:

I usually go to dust free hay in derbyshire to collect in bulk ..but I don't get paid till Friday so I thought I would get some random mixes to see me through. Ended up at the Hungry Horse Supplies Store eventually and got a farm bale.. which I don't normally use :)oops: as I am concerned about mites, and dust) ... but desperation called and green hay is better than no hay or brown hay!!

The scratch and newton bags from PAH are tiny but are meant to be enough bedding for several cages.... hmmm No! :roll::roll: They are nice stuff but a complete rip off :D

I noticed this and obviously bun noticed too as she didn't eat :roll:. The Excel with Dandelions is still fairly long though

I've written to Burgess today to ask them about it... i'm really not very impressed, it falls straight out of Teddy's hayball and ends up dirty on the floor! And it smells horrible... i usually love the smell of it!

Back