• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Caring for Lopped Ears

sidereus7

Mama Doe
When I told my vet that I was getting a lop ear, she seemed so sad and expressed that she wished I had consulted her first, because lop ears are a pain! :lol:

She showed me inside Mimi's normal, healthy ears and told me to remember it, because she would no doubt be showing me an ear infection at some point. She had mentioned that you could regularly put something in their ears to help prevent infection and keep them clean, but I don't remember what it was...

What do you guys do to keep lop ears healthy and flopperific? :)

I have had kasper for about a year now and havent had one helath problem *knock on wood*

But i would to her more to about this!And see if its really true

I didn't know there was anything you could use to prevent problems. :? I think the key is just to be aware that problems can arise & know the signs, and make sure bunny gets to a vet if you notice anything unusual.

my vet reakons that alvin has slightly more wax than usual and i reakon hes deaf as a reult... but so far the vet has shown no concern about possible problems..

when i mentioned i wanted a Giant he said not to get one due to possible arthritis and a shorted life span... i guess all vets have thier preferences just like us :D

Jazz is a lop, had him 4 years no problem and I've only had jack a few weeks and he's 2 and as far as I'm aware no problems there either!

Oh :censored:. Am I meant to do something different?? I have 2 dwarf lops & a mini lop. Their ears get checked by me every week when I groom, & the mini lop gets healthchecked by a vet every 6 months (everyone else is a year when they have their jabs) or so cos she's nearly blind & deaf.

The only probs I have ever had was with my Frenchie. She had an eye injury & there was a tiny abscess on her ear, but it cleared up fast enough

I have had various lops or different sizes for over 10 years - and never had any ear infections! Their ears are as clean and healthy as any of my other rabbits'... I have never had to clean them or anything either.

The only thing two of my rabbits had was an abscess in the middle ear... I doubt that was related to their lop ears though.

Vera

Last edited:
Back