• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

claws clipped

hi could anyone please help, i'm struggling as i don't know how to clip claws and i've 6 bunnys. three of which i know need doing. the problem is that one of them is fairly big and very strong, and another is very nervous as her previous owner hit her, i've rescued most of them. if anyone could please offer to clip their claws we would all be happy bunnies. i live in the chesterfield area in derbyshire. thankyou so much for reading this.

Hi there.

I'm the soul that e-mailed you on animal-rehoming. Hi.

We have 19 bunnies of our own and all of them are difficult to varying degrees to clip.

I do have a knack with it now and do them regularly, which in itself does help as they do get used to it to a certain extent.

For the more difficult ones, I sit on the floor or a stool with them on my lap; of course you have to be able to get them there in the first place which only comes with lots of gentle handling over a period of time. For the more difficult bunny I sit them with their head under my armpit and do the back ones first. They seem to feel more secure this way. For the front ones I sit their bum under my armpit and then put the non cutting arm under their tummy and hold their feet with it too. (difficult to imagine - might get the OH to take photos later and will post again).

It will be great if someone on here that lives close can come over to show you how to do it for the first time and then you can have a go. I am sure that you will get the hang of it.

If bunny bites, by the way, the best thing I have discovered is a very thick 'fleece' top as they don't seem to be able to get through those!

All the best.

Helen

Back