• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is This big enough

me1234567

New Kit
Hi all,

I'm just trying to find out as were thinking of getting a dwarf species of rabbit.
Where we'd like to position it the cage would be 3ft long Is this big enough?
Also the run would be about 13ft by 3ft wide is this ok?

Thanks
Kirsty

3ft x 1ft is unfortunately half the minimum size a bun should be in, even if only overnight, they should have at least 6ft x 2ft x 2ft.

So is the run 13ft by 3ft ok?

I will try and turn the hutch round so we can get a bigger hutch
instead of having it across the bottom have it up the side but that would then only leave a 1ft gap to get in to clean so not sure this would work
Maybe our dream has just sunk :?

Most rescues wouldn't rehome to anything less than 5ftx2ftx2ft with an attached run.

Rescue is the best way to go, as is getting two buns instead of one.

Have you got room for a bunny shed instead? Or house bunny(s)?

Would like a house bunny but with 3 dogs it wouldn't work.
As in the garden its fenced of so the dogs wouldn't be able to go near
a rabbit outside if you get what i mean

Thanks for you quick replys :D

Most rescues wouldn't rehome to anything less than 5ftx2ftx2ft with an attached run.

Rescue is the best way to go, as is getting two buns instead of one.

Have you got room for a bunny shed instead? Or house bunny(s)?

I don't think we could have 2 buns :(

unfortunately rabbits, unless indoors, should be in pairs as they are very social animals and live in groups in the wild.

How about making an avery type enclosure with the space you have.

Could that potentially be 13ft by 3ft?

Then you could have a door to walk into yourself and also have two bunnies :D

If you post pictures of both, maybe someone can help you adjust it/ think of how it can be changed :)

We have got the hutch and run yet. I have been out today and brought all the wood and mesh to build the run and we were going to get a hutch once we'd measured where we could put it and made sure it was big enough:?

I don't think there is any other way i will go draw it up on paint and post it in a min as its dark out now brb

I think you can buy avery panels from DIY stores, already meshed (although may not be very thick).

Then you could have a smaller hutch inside it and a few other hidey places to keep warm and a few levels to run about on.

You would just need to make sure the floor was secure too so no foxes etc could dig in.

Get a piccy of the proposed area too tomorrow :D

This is a quick draw up of what we were going to do

Untitledvfff.jpg

Maybe as i don't feel we could offer 2 rabbits a home it wouldn't be best for us to get one:(:cry::cry:

I still think the avery is an option...

yeah if it was the complete size i cant imagine a rescue would say no :D they would insist on a pair tho i think...

dogs would surprise you too. if introduced slowly and carefully bunnies and dogs live very well together...

it would be a huge shame if you dont get to see how wonderful bunnies are to live with, dont give up yet the rescues will be able to give you input on what requirements they have

I'm not sure my mom would let me :( or the neighbours because they are right moners. I would love to take there rabbits as they have a stupid 5ft by 2ft cage for 2 rabbits that never even get access tovthe outside:cry: Its such ashame

I'm not sure my mom would let me :( or the neighbours because they are right moners. I would love to take there rabbits as they have a stupid 5ft by 2ft cage for 2 rabbits that never even get access tovthe outside:cry: Its such ashame

awwwww im sure youll find a way to get some lovely bunnies soon

Back