• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brand new handmade hutch and pics!

Maria786

Warren Scout
My hubby made this for Pete our dwarf lop. He is waiting for wifey florence from RSPCA. Its 6ftx6ft and covered in wire mesh. You like??:p

20042009786.jpg

20042009787.jpg

20042009774.jpg

20042009766.jpg

20042009768.jpg

Gorgeous bunny and great layout :D

I cant really tell but is that wire quite thick and the grassy bit secured with wire? Just wouldn't want Mr Fox digging under or chewing wire :?

Gorgeous bunny and great layout :D

I cant really tell but is that wire quite thick and the grassy bit secured with wire? Just wouldn't want Mr Fox digging under or chewing wire :?

His hutch/run is half on solid ground and half on grassed area. He uses the grassed area as a litter tray, so I need to keep it on there. Good point about Mr Fox! I never thought of that!

What shall I do?

P.S The wire is galvanised and very strong. The run has two types of wire. We bought one roll from B&Q, it has smaller holes/sections and the other one that you see clearly is from Wickes. The other ones were out of stock so we had to mix the two to make our run. We ran out of the B&Q one.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1240302724742&isSearch=true

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wire-Fencing/Cage-and-Aviary-Mesh/invt/187735

His hutch/run is half on solid ground and half on grassed area. He uses the grassed area as a litter tray, so I need to keep it on there. Good point about Mr Fox! I never thought of that!

What shall I do?

I would be tempted to mesh the bottom of the run and then re-lay some turf over it.

The thicker the mess the better, I've heard a few times about foxes actually chewing through thin chicken wire.

It's gonna be lonely for him with all that space until his new wifey arrives :D

Aww - he looks very pleased with his house, and he's such a cutie too:love:

As regards meshing the floor, you could just staple it to the bottom of the wood frame so it lays on top of the grass - the grass will grow through & as long as it's flat to the ground it shouldn't cause the buns any problems.

Nice carpentry and gorgeous bun I am sure he will be very happy there with his new wifey.

I thought about the fox digging in too (or the buns digging out). What about laying flag stones around the edges, half in half out of the run, and still having a grassy patch in the middle? Think to be on the safe side I would put some mesh under ground too when laying the flags. Mmmme.

Rabswood

Nice carpentry and gorgeous bun I am sure he will be very happy there with his new wifey.

I thought about the fox digging in too (or the buns digging out). What about laying flag stones around the edges, half in half out of the run, and still having a grassy patch in the middle? Think to be on the safe side I would put some mesh under ground too when laying the flags. Mmmme.

Rabswood

Hmm, that's not a bad idea. We can arrange that so no one can dig in or out!

Thanks guys, good thing I come here for advice. We still need to put a roof on so that it can be waterproof for winter etc. I shall post more pics of the front of the hutch and when the roof is laid on. I wonder what you call the special roof material that is used on wooden sheds. We need some of that now......

Aww - he looks very pleased with his house, and he's such a cutie too:love:

As regards meshing the floor, you could just staple it to the bottom of the wood frame so it lays on top of the grass - the grass will grow through & as long as it's flat to the ground it shouldn't cause the buns any problems.

Yes I am always weary of using wire for them to stand on incase it hurts the buns. I didn't want them to stand on it but because it will be covered by grass, their hocks won't get sore. Thanks.

Back