• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grass seads....?

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Where can i buy grass seads so i can grow a tray for my indoor bunny Fudge and how long does it take to grow?

Also (may be a stupid question) but until the grass grows in the tray would i be able to put a bit of lawn turf in a litter tray with compost to use until the grass has grown?

And (another silly question :oops:) how much is lawn turf and can you just buy one bit?

I bought timothy hay seed from West Wales Willows. Or you can just buy one piece of turf if you like - I've done that too. Got mine from B&Q at around £2 a roll. The seed takes around a week to two weeks to germinate but you'll need to grow it on for a couple of months before it's thick enough for the bunnies to munch. Turf is much easier in that respect because you can let them have it immediately.

I grow timothy at 4 -6 week intervals, so I can try and have a succession and keep some back to recover, while other batches are being devoured.:lol: You can by turf as a roll, usually around £3 a piece from most DIY places. Just remember to ask if the grass on it has been treated with anything when you buy it.:D

In Wilkinsons they have grass seed for about £2 for a good sized box (reckon it'd do 40+ trays easily)

I've just used some to seed patches in the lawn and it has taken about 10 days for the first shoots to come through, so maybe 4-5 weeks before its fully ready?

I sometimes buy rolls of turf from B&Q to put in my foster run. It's on concrete, so I can easily disinfect it, so the rolls are ideal:D

I got some from Wilko's for litter trays took ages to grow about 2/3 months :( i'd go for the turf roll so much easier :lol:

Thanks everyone :wave:
Im going to get a roll of turf to use until my grass seed tray is ready :D My mum said we have grass seads in the garage so i dont need to buy any just a few trays and compost!
Whats the best compost to used for growing grass?

When i get the turf (even if they say its not had chemicals on it) i will give it a good hose down and let it sit for a couple of days then i will put it in a spare litter tray and water it every now and then!

I think i will buy 2 rolls so one can grow while the other is being eaten :lol:

I got a tub of Kitty Grass from mylocal garden centre for £1.49. It has not been treated with anything, the buns love it. Its teaming with grass seeds so I have put it in a seed tray and will try to grow some more if they dont scoff it.

Back