PDA

View Full Version : Grass seads....?

FudgeMallow
20-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Where can i buy grass seads so i can grow a tray for my indoor bunny Fudge and how long does it take to grow?

Also (may be a stupid question) but until the grass grows in the tray would i be able to put a bit of lawn turf in a litter tray with compost to use until the grass has grown?

And (another silly question :oops:) how much is lawn turf and can you just buy one bit?

hurricanhoney
20-04-2009, 06:40 PM
You can get grass seed from The Hay Experts or Pampered Piggies.

Mackers
20-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I bought timothy hay seed from West Wales Willows. Or you can just buy one piece of turf if you like - I've done that too. Got mine from B&Q at around 2 a roll. The seed takes around a week to two weeks to germinate but you'll need to grow it on for a couple of months before it's thick enough for the bunnies to munch. Turf is much easier in that respect because you can let them have it immediately.

Maizy
20-04-2009, 10:23 PM
I grow timothy at 4 -6 week intervals, so I can try and have a succession and keep some back to recover, while other batches are being devoured.:lol: You can by turf as a roll, usually around 3 a piece from most DIY places. Just remember to ask if the grass on it has been treated with anything when you buy it.:D

BB Mommy
21-04-2009, 09:03 AM
In Wilkinsons they have grass seed for about 2 for a good sized box (reckon it'd do 40+ trays easily)

I've just used some to seed patches in the lawn and it has taken about 10 days for the first shoots to come through, so maybe 4-5 weeks before its fully ready?

Angie65
21-04-2009, 09:19 AM
I sometimes buy rolls of turf from B&Q to put in my foster run. It's on concrete, so I can easily disinfect it, so the rolls are ideal:D

George&dillon
21-04-2009, 09:20 AM
I got some from Wilko's for litter trays took ages to grow about 2/3 months :( i'd go for the turf roll so much easier :lol:

FudgeMallow
21-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks everyone :wave:
Im going to get a roll of turf to use until my grass seed tray is ready :D My mum said we have grass seads in the garage so i dont need to buy any just a few trays and compost!
Whats the best compost to used for growing grass?

When i get the turf (even if they say its not had chemicals on it) i will give it a good hose down and let it sit for a couple of days then i will put it in a spare litter tray and water it every now and then!

I think i will buy 2 rolls so one can grow while the other is being eaten :lol:

mini lop1
21-04-2009, 10:06 AM
I got some from Wilko's for litter trays took ages to grow about 2/3 months :( i'd go for the turf roll so much easier :lol:

i get wilkos seeds they grow after 7-14days for me :lol:

~ Cat ~
21-04-2009, 10:12 AM
I got a tub of Kitty Grass from mylocal garden centre for 1.49. It has not been treated with anything, the buns love it. Its teaming with grass seeds so I have put it in a seed tray and will try to grow some more if they dont scoff it.